Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Intel vs AMD

Last response: in CPUs
November 22, 2011 1:05:01 PM

This is a hard decision, I could get either the Phenom II x4 965 or the Intel i3-2120, and get either brand. But that's the problem, with overclocking, I could raise the performance of the Phenom II to more performance than i3-2120, getting me more performance overall, but later on in the road, the i5-2500K would kill the PHII even if the CPU is overclocked, while the i5 at stock. With AMD I wouldn't be able to get the i5 in the fututre. With Intel, I wouldn't get the best performance now. It's all about prices, I cannot get the i5-2500K now since it's $219.99, but I can get either the i3-2100 and the Phenom II for $130. I won't be upgrading any soon (Probably in 1 -2 years), I also have a 6870. Which one?

More about : intel amd

a c 159 à CPUs
a b å Intel
November 22, 2011 1:11:19 PM

Microcenter will have the 2500K at $150 on black friday, if you live near one. I suggest you save some more $$ rather than get something that you don't really want.
Score
November 22, 2011 1:14:06 PM

if hardly for gamming i recommend to get 2500k otherwise phenom II isn't a bad cpu but 2500k give you much better performance than all of amd cpu.
Score
Related resources
a c 82 à CPUs
a b å Intel
November 22, 2011 1:14:24 PM

what are your budget and rest of the specs?
Score
November 22, 2011 1:17:07 PM

if it is for gaming only, i would say, grab an am3+ mobo and a fx 4100, there is a upgrade path to higher end models like 8150 and upcoming b3 revison. and also piledriver too.
you can overclock the fx way upto 4.6ghz with stock hsf.simply by raising multiplier.

AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX 120$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS 105$

or

ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 85$
Score
November 22, 2011 1:23:39 PM

As for your requirement i think you should get the phenom ii 955 be ( because the 955 and 965 all are same cpu with different no of multipliers for overclocking) . So get the 955 with a good motherboard of 8 series or later . In case of intel i3 can't be overclocked and for intel i5 2500k you have to pay atleast 220$ or so . For overclocking you will need atleast a h67 motherboard (the cheapest is more than 115$ or more) . So if you have a lot of money to spend on cpu and motherboard for overclocking(atleast 350$ or more ) then buy the intel sandybridge or else buy amd ( you can upgrade it later when a new good cpu arrives in 2012 )
Score
a c 82 à CPUs
a b å Intel
November 22, 2011 1:23:44 PM

right now, if you have to buy - a z68 motherboard with pcie 3.0 capability + core i3. check newegg or your preferred website for motherboards that fit your budget.
you can upgrade to ivb next year and use the pcie 3.0 gfx cards at their full bandwidth.
although, this will only be helpful for you if ivb is as good as intel's leaked slides and rumors say. you could still use a sandy bridge core i5 or i7 in case ivb underwhelms.
Score
November 22, 2011 1:23:59 PM

manu 11 said:
if it is for gaming only, i would say, grab an am3+ mobo and a fx 4100, there is a upgrade path to higher end models like 8150 and upcoming b3 revison. and also piledriver too.
you can overclock the fx way upto 4.6ghz with stock hsf.simply by raising multiplier.

AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX 120$

ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS 105$

or

ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 85$

can you please tell me why amd fx 4100 price are so cheaper?
you know better fx-4100 is a quad-core cpu and have more frequency than 2500k but unfortunately why 2500k beat fx4100 with lower frequency.both are 32nm cpu's???
Score
November 22, 2011 1:25:48 PM

they are cheaper because they cannot outperform old generation phenom ii in multitasking, but in gaming, performance seems to be same.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2011 1:26:05 PM

IMHO, the current "competitions" between CPUs, GPUs and the practice of overclocking has evolved mostly into a urinating contest. I've been running a PH2 955 for a couple of years now (not OCd) with a GTX 460 GPU and it runs everything I throw at it including Crysis & Metro 2033. I have no doubt that Intel processors are faster "on paper" however I do question the practical value of the extra expense. I think it's a matter of diminishing returns. In other words you're spending significantly more money for insignificant gains.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2011 1:30:01 PM

If you are like me and don't upgrade every year then stretch a little and get the parts you really want. If it is a 2 year build then there should be no problem spending $1-200 more for good parts that you won't have to mess with for a while. Otherwise you are buying a $130 i3 + $220 i5 = $350. For that price you could just buy an i7!
So buy once, and buy what will work for you for the life expectancy of your machine rather than throwing money away with incremental upgrades.
Score
November 22, 2011 1:33:05 PM

manu 11 said:
they are cheaper because they cannot outperform old generation phenom ii in multitasking, but in gaming, performance seems to be same.

if they are same in gamming but why they are slower in multitasking, fx are now latest in amd they should be good in multitasking can you explain why they are weaker than old gen?? and if they same in gamming then why AMD manufacturer making latest cpu's they aren't fast?
Score
November 22, 2011 1:33:36 PM

^ totally disagreed, every one cannot buy an i7
Score
November 22, 2011 1:35:23 PM

pro-gamer1 said:
if they are same in gamming but why they are slower in multitasking, fx are now latest in amd they should be good in multitasking can you explain why they are weaker than old gen??

because fx is a totally new architecture and current softwares cannot enjoy its true power.
i think newer softwares will enjoy the instructions of fx line!
Score
November 22, 2011 1:38:44 PM

manu 11 said:
because fx is a totally new architecture and current softwares cannot enjoy its true power.

that's not the case!
but ivy bridge also the newest architecture and old softwares taste it real power i saw in benchmarking.
Score
November 22, 2011 1:39:53 PM

but anyway thanks for your comments.
Score
a c 82 à CPUs
a b å Intel
November 22, 2011 1:40:48 PM

pro-gamer1 said:
that's not the case!
but ivy bridge also the newest architecture and old softwares taste it real power i saw in benchmarking.

ivy bridge hasn't been released yet. where did you get your benchmarks from?
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2011 1:52:29 PM

Ivy Bridge is an enhanced architecture (22nm from 32nm), not a new one.

In Intel development cycle (the tick-tock cycle) we're here talking about the tick
As tick means manufacturing technology (going from 32nm to 22nm)
and tock means new microarchitecture (will be the Haswell architecture, probably in 2013)
Score
a c 186 à CPUs
a b å Intel
November 22, 2011 2:49:38 PM

o1die said:
Microcenter will have the 2500K at $150 on black friday, if you live near one. I suggest you save some more $$ rather than get something that you don't really want.

its going to be 150 but they won't give you 60 bucks off of the motherboard so if you bought it now you would save 30 bucks more :o 
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2011 4:32:15 PM

ram1009 said:
IMHO, the current "competitions" between CPUs, GPUs and the practice of overclocking has evolved mostly into a urinating contest. I've been running a PH2 955 for a couple of years now (not OCd) with a GTX 460 GPU and it runs everything I throw at it including Crysis & Metro 2033. I have no doubt that Intel processors are faster "on paper" however I do question the practical value of the extra expense. I think it's a matter of diminishing returns. In other words you're spending significantly more money for insignificant gains.

bet youd see improvements in every game you play(skyrim is an example) with a sandybridge cpu. your average might not improve that much but your min and maxes would.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2011 4:35:30 PM

manu 11 said:

that is a highly ignorant and border line stupid comment. if thats the case then how come my 2600k hasnt seen any improvement in software since its release? admit it dude and tell all of your possy, bulldozer is as big a flop as anything. it cant get out of its own way. there is not a single program that is good enough at to warrant buying one.
Score
November 22, 2011 4:36:44 PM

how???
Score
November 22, 2011 4:39:15 PM

cbrunnem said:
that is a highly ignorant and border line stupid comment. if thats the case then how come my 2600k hasnt seen any improvement in software since its release? admit it dude and tell all of your possy, bulldozer is as big a flop as anything. it cant get out of its own way. there is not a single program that is good enough at to warrant buying one.

and you know the codename of bulldozer that is "FAILDOZER" heheh :na: 
Score
a c 159 à CPUs
a b å Intel
November 22, 2011 5:16:27 PM

If you're going to use a low end h61 board anyway, then the 2400 is a good choice. Buy it today or tomorrow and you may get a discount on the board when you buy a combo in stores only. Microsoft may not offer combo specials on black friday.
Score
November 22, 2011 5:24:08 PM

o1die said:
If you're going to use a low end h61 board anyway, then the 2400 is a good choice. Buy it today or tomorrow and you may get a discount on the board when you buy a combo in stores only. Microsoft may not offer combo specials on black friday.

I'l be gettlity Z68 board. Probably the GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3.

The total would be the same price as the Phenom II x4 965 + CPU Cooler, and mobo. Can this one overclock just a bit? I know it's locked, just asking.

Score
November 22, 2011 5:28:55 PM

The 2400 is not an unlocked processor and will not overclock beyond the "turbo" setting. I would suggest trundling down to a Micro Center if you are near one (as others have suggested) and spend $30 more to get the i5-2500K ($179.99 right now) + z68 mobo bundle deal; you will get an automatic $60 discount on the mobo. The deal is for "ANY" z68 motherboard. I just bought the i5-2500K with the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro for a total of $330 before tax.
Score
November 22, 2011 5:35:45 PM

So basically, if you buy a i5-2500K, you get $60 off a Z68 board?
Score
November 22, 2011 5:37:10 PM

i5 2500k rocksssss just get it with p67 or z68 chipset and but a good gpu then you be super fine in gaming plus if you are overclocker then u can clock 2500k at more then 4.2ghz
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2011 6:12:04 PM

ebalong said:
The 2400 is not an unlocked processor and will not overclock beyond the "turbo" setting. I would suggest trundling down to a Micro Center if you are near one (as others have suggested) and spend $30 more to get the i5-2500K ($179.99 right now) + z68 mobo bundle deal; you will get an automatic $60 discount on the mobo. The deal is for "ANY" z68 motherboard. I just bought the i5-2500K with the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro for a total of $330 before tax.

it has been discussed and proven time and time again that a non k model cpu can be overclock up to 4 bins past its max turbo.
Score
November 22, 2011 6:13:59 PM

Dropshock said:
So basically, if you buy a i5-2500K, you get $60 off a Z68 board?

Yep, that is one of the many deals going on at Micro Center, (at least it was when I purchased my components this last Saturday). I think it applies at any Micro Center, but may not apply during "Black Friday" because of other overriding deals and discounts. I don't think it is advertised up-front on their website; I didn't know about the bundle discount until I went to pick up my processor, and saw the sign inside the store advertising it.

Score
November 22, 2011 6:20:39 PM

cbrunnem said:
it has been discussed and proven time and time again that a non k model cpu can be overclock up to 4 bins past its max turbo.

I don't know what "4 bins" means in terms of MHZ, and is it just a matter of tweaking the multiplier in the BIOS the same as you would do with a processor that is "officially unlocked"?
Score
a c 88 à CPUs
November 22, 2011 6:42:32 PM

i would not buy an AMD cpu for gaming, they have nothing on intel. If you were to get the phenom x4 955 over the i3-2100, you have no upgrade possibilities, the only "upgrade" (the FX cpu's) is actually a "downgrade" for gaming, due to its slow per-core performance. If you get the i3 2100/2120 now, you can always upgrade to a 2500k/2600k or better when ivy bridge cpu's are released. AMD will not likely ever be making a good gaming cpu again, not if they continue with this bulldozer FX crap. You could always opt for an i5 2320, its still going to be faster than anything AMD has to offer, even if you overclock their processors. - oh, and now wait for the AMD fanboys response to this "oh but you dont need that much power for gaming.... .whinge, whinge, whinge, blah, blah, blah" < disagree, you DO need more power for gaming than any AMD cpu can offer if you want to keep your minimum FPS up in many titles, and for the many titles that still don't use more than 2 cores, like skyrim.
Score
November 22, 2011 6:59:56 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
i would not buy an AMD cpu for gaming, they have nothing on intel. If you were to get the phenom x4 955 over the i3-2100, you have no upgrade possibilities, the only "upgrade" (the FX cpu's) is actually a "downgrade" for gaming, due to its slow per-core performance. If you get the i3 2100/2120 now, you can always upgrade to a 2500k/2600k or better when ivy bridge cpu's are released. AMD will not likely ever be making a good gaming cpu again, not if they continue with this bulldozer FX crap. You could always opt for an i5 2320, its still going to be faster than anything AMD has to offer, even if you overclock their processors. - oh, and now wait for the AMD fanboys response to this "oh but you dont need that much power for gaming.... .whinge, whinge, whinge, blah, blah, blah" < disagree, you DO need more power for gaming than any AMD cpu can offer if you want to keep your minimum FPS up in many titles, and for the many titles that still don't use more than 2 cores, like skyrim.

I would say its relative to the situation. For someone like me, I dont care if I cant play on super high settings, so I usually go a mid ranged card, with an AMD CPU. If I wanted to do High end gaming I would definitely invest a lot more money in an intel and high end GPU system. So I guess what it really comes down to is what kind of performance someone wants next to how much they are willing to spend. AMD cant compete on the high end, so if you want highend, Intel all the way. If graphics arent as important as the actual content of the game, go for more of a budget build. In the end, get what will make you happy! :) 
Score
a c 136 à CPUs
a b å Intel
November 22, 2011 7:00:15 PM

Don't let ram1009's comment get lost in the noise, whether or not from fanboys. The simple fact is that even an Athlon 2 X2 can play any game. More CPU-bound titles (Skyrim is one) will benefit from a stronger CPU, but they will still be playable. Consider other factors, such as connectivity options on the mobo. I have a 970BE, which is thoroughly "out-pissed" by any i5. I just bought Skyrim, and it is nice and smooth with my GTX560Ti, so I doubt I'd see the difference. OTOH, my mobo is much nicer than some cheap H61 board; I've got six SATA 6Gb/s ports, USB 3.0, eSATA, and more PCIE lanes than I'm likely to need, any or all of which can be used at the same time.
I realize this doesn't point in a clear direction, but does hopefully add some context. This Friday, or possibly on Cyber Monday, an outstanding deal may turn up, on either platform. I'd wait until then. If you can afford a Z68 mobo (or a P67) with an i5, that would be your strongest choice. If not, a 970 or 990[F]X and a PhII would run well enough that you might not notice any difference.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2011 7:48:21 PM

cbrunnem said:
bet youd see improvements in every game you play(skyrim is an example) with a sandybridge cpu. your average might not improve that much but your min and maxes would.

I'm sure you're right however I'd wager I would consider the gains minimal, insignificant and not worth the investment.

Score
a c 88 à CPUs
November 22, 2011 11:27:36 PM

Onus said:
Don't let ram1009's comment get lost in the noise, whether or not from fanboys. The simple fact is that even an Athlon 2 X2 can play any game. More CPU-bound titles (Skyrim is one) will benefit from a stronger CPU, but they will still be playable.

bollocks, its not playable on an athlon II x2 along with many other games. I guess it depends on what you call playable. 15-25 fps is not playable to me. I agree a phenom II x4 is a fine choice, but has no upgrade possibilities and is not likely to ever have any. So if your fine with having to upgrade the whole platfirm when you want to upgrade, then go for a phenom II and OC it for a budget cpu choice. If you want no fuss performance without having to OC and low power consumption, get a SB cpu.
Score
a c 136 à CPUs
a b å Intel
November 23, 2011 12:05:41 AM

Bollocks? I don't think so. The following shows that quality can be MAXED and FPS remains a very playable 36 at 1680x1050. Is that great? Of course not, so turn some settings down (e.g. Shadows, in particular, which are rendered by the CPU) to High or perhaps Medium. I consider that very playable. http://www.techspot.com/review/467-skyrim-performance/p...
Score
November 23, 2011 12:19:55 AM

Ok, I need a final input:

AMD

Intel

pick one please.
Score
a c 136 à CPUs
a b å Intel
November 23, 2011 12:24:35 AM

Unless you cannot afford an overclocking mobo to let you get the best out of a "K" series processor later, get the Intel system. The i3 and the 955BE are both "good enough," but socket 1155 gives you much more upgrade room than AM3+, IF you buy a motherboard to take advantage of it.
Score
November 23, 2011 12:33:52 AM

Onus said:
Unless you cannot afford an overclocking mobo to let you get the best out of a "K" series processor later, get the Intel system. The i3 and the 955BE are both "good enough," but socket 1155 gives you much more upgrade room than AM3+, IF you buy a motherboard to take advantage of it.

+1
Score
a c 82 à CPUs
a b å Intel
November 23, 2011 4:38:46 AM

intel core i5 2500k for gaming. use a good cooler and a z68 motherboard, you will be set for a while.
i could have recommended a ph ii x4 + 990fx motherboard but i don't think that path offers a reliable processor upgrade in the future. fx do not seem to be good enough for gaming.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2011 5:20:38 AM

iam2thecrowe said:

And yet my AMD FX 8120 rig can play any game including Skyrim max at very good frame rates. But what can you expect from a Intel fanboy you have to justify your overpriced crap! Funny how many i5-i7 systems seem to have a problem with Skyrim and my little AMD system runs it great! Don't believe it just look at the Skyrim forum on Steam!
Score
November 23, 2011 5:34:32 AM

bryonhowley said:
And yet my AMD FX 8120 rig can play any game including Skyrim max at very good frame rates. But what can you expect from a Intel fanboy you have to justify your overpriced crap! Funny how many i5-i7 systems seem to have a problem with Skyrim and my little AMD system runs it great! Don't believe it just look at the Skyrim forum on Steam!

I really doubt its an Intel cpu problem, you can argue that Amd is a better value, but it does'nt compare to a 2500k. No way , no how. This is coming from a long time Amd user, first comp was a amd 386 40mhz. Waited months on Bulldozer, it turned out to be Bullshit. Bought a 2500k for about the same price you paid for that eight core imitation cpu
Score
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2011 9:16:47 AM

Dropshock said:
Ok, I need a final input:

AMD

Intel

pick one please.

If you can afford an Intel system, there's no doubt it's faster. Whether or not that increase in speed will be important enough to you to spend the extra money, only you can answer.
Score
November 23, 2011 10:16:02 AM

pro-gamer1 said:
if hardly for gamming i recommend to get 2500k otherwise phenom II isn't a bad cpu but 2500k give you much better performance than all of amd cpu.

Not really, in most cases FX-8150 outperforms 2500 and sometimes i7-2600k
Score
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2011 10:27:24 AM

^ Definately not in gaming.
Score
a c 82 à CPUs
a b å Intel
November 23, 2011 10:28:24 AM

FtsArTek said:
Not really, in most cases FX-8150 outperforms 2500 and sometimes i7-2600k

do any of these most cases happen to be gaming? power-performance efficiency? price?
in reality, fx 8150 Gets Outperformed by a core i5 2500/2500k and Most of the times i7 2600k/2700k.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2011 10:36:37 AM

de5_Roy said:
do any of these most cases happen to be gaming? power-performance efficiency? price?
in reality, fx 8150 Gets Outperformed by a core i5 2500/2500k and Most of the times i7 2600k/2700k.

See how much better the FX8150 is?

The i5 2500K only scores 133.3, but the FX8150 scores 229!

AMD is obviously better by 71%!

Now seriously, anyone who knows how to interpret this chart would be utterly disgraced. FX8150 deserves to be a 140W TDP CPU.

Seriously.
Score
November 23, 2011 12:01:57 PM

BLAH at bulldozer..Im waiting for ivy bridge
Score
!