Assembling a computer help

maxfarmor

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
Hello again!

I Have now bought all my parts and will start assembling the parts. My case is old ( 3yrs ) as is my hd

I have viewed some guides and read all the manuals and i think im okay so far.

BUT if i have done something wrong ( wrong cable here/there ) will it damage any of my parts when i power it up?
If so then can you tell me which cabels are the most critical so that i can 100x check them :)
also, is there any difference between seemingly identical cables coming out of the PSU? ( 2 PCI-E named power cables with 6+2 ends ) and also, is it bad if i do not connect the audio panel cables from my case to the motherboard? ( the red/green audio output/input jacks located on my case, i dont know where on my motherboard i should place them, there is a cable which then splits in to 7 small ones with black boxes at the end, namely : MIC POWER, GROUND, L-OUT,R-OUT,L-RET, R-RET and MIC-IN)

Is there any difference whether i connect my sata 3.0Gb HD to the sata 6.0GB or the 3.0GB slots on the motherboard?
the fan on my case has a cable comming out of it which then leads in to a 2 way molex cable quite like this http://www.dtekcustoms.com/ProductImages/products/addons/3-4 pin.jpg

do i connect it just by putting it between 2 other molex cables? if so then is there any difference which ones?
and is that the thing which supplies power to the fan, if so what does the cha_fan1-4 connectors do? do i also need to connect the fan to them?

also after connecting all the stuff there are a huge ammount of un used sata cables sprouting out from the psu cables, is that bad? things like this http://www.elitebastards.com/hanners/cooler-master/gx-750w/images/psu_sata_tn.jpg

my computer specs are :

GPU : Gainward GTX 570 golden sample
CPU : i5 2500K
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz Cl9
MB : ASUS P8P67-PRO
PSU : Corsair CX600 V2 ( 600W )

Section 4 :)
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288241-13-read-posting-buyer-guides-troubleshooting
audio panel cable, leave if you dont want to use mic/phones from case if you do want to use them, the header on your mobo should be labelled audio, what Mobo do you have?
the 2 plugs from the fan are so you can attah several fans in series, dont worry about plugging them all in unless you are connecting a couple all on the same plug from the psu
the pcie 6+2 lines are for graphics cards, if your gfx card doesn't need power, dont worry
and unused cables are also fine, just tidy them away a bit
your sata 3Gb will work fine on either sata socket
as long as you have the 20+4 pin, the 4/8 cpu power pin and any gfx cards powered your fine, everything else is extraneous, hard drives,fans etc
check your mobo manual for header placements and youll be fine
:)
Moto

weezys_advocate

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Well the audio for your motherboard is at the very bottom left of the board, not bad if you dont though, the plugs just wont work obviously. All the 6+2 pins are the same so if they are identical in look they are identical in function. If you have something that can benifit from 6GB slots use them, if not it dosnt make any difference.
the fan just connects to one of the molex from your power supply, it only needs one.
no problem with lots of un used sata cables no, i have loads too.
you shouldnt be able to damage it by not plugging things in as they wont have power going to them. but obviously try and make sure you get it right so just take your time and enjoy :). hope this helps

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
The power cables on the motherboard are the ones that you want to be careful with. I have heard of people damaging motherboards by getting these wrong.

Cables for your various drives are pretty easy to get right.

The front panel connectors are optional, except for possibly the power switch. If you get the LED wires reversed then all that happens is that the LED's don't work. I'm not sure what happens if you get a microphone/headphone cable backwards.

maxfarmor

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
Thanks for all the fast ansvears!

okay so as long as all the powercables to the motherboard,cpu( on mobo ) and gfx all should be fine? good!
oh and the optical sata drive, it does use the same cables as the hard drives?

audio panel cable, leave if you dont want to use mic/phones from case if you do want to use them, the header on your mobo should be labelled audio, what Mobo do you have?
mobo is motherboard right? if so it is ASUS P8P67-PRO ( in my first post ;) )

thx

maxfarmor

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
thanks everyone!

computer is now succesfully installed with games and all

final specs:

CPU : i5 2500K @ 4.7 GHz
GPU : GTX 570 @ 850 , 1950
RAM : 8GB @ 1600
CPU cooler : CM hyper 212+
HD : WD Black 1 TB
SSD : OCZ Agility 3 60 GB

and some benchmarks :

3Dmark 11 performance : P6330 score
Windows 7 rating : 7.7 / 7.9 / 7.9 / 7.9
crysis 1 Very high @ 1680,1050 : 44 -> 65 fps
crysis 2 Ultra, dx11, HD tex @ 1680,1050 : 50 -> 70 fps ( more than in crysis 1 ??? )
temperature @ full load ( crysis 2 2h maximum ) : 59 C
temperature @ idle : 28 C ( room = 24 about )

hope that those are good stats for my specs :)