Games either quit to desktop or restart the whole system.

Ahzurre24

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Hello, I just built my first pc and everything seems to run well, except when I try and play games. They will indeed play (beautifully) for a couple minutes before they just quit, or shutdown the computer altogether.

My build:
Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
Mobo: MSI P67A-C43
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GB
Processor: Intel Core i5
Power: Diablotek DA Series 600w ATX
Video: EVGA NVidia GeForce GTX 460

I have the latest video drivers. I think it is a video card issue though, as I've run a cpu stress test, and a memtest, those are fine. I've reconnected everything as well. I only have this problem when I start up a game.

Has anyone else ran into this problem, or know of a solution? Thanks in advance!

Power: Diablotek DA Series 600w ATX
^ theres your most likely problem. Diablotek psu's are poor quality fire hazards. a 380w antec earthwatts psu can produce more power than any diablotek. What were you thinking when you bought a cheap psu?
heres a review > http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/12/17/diablotek_phd650_650w_power_supply_review/4
heres a quote from that review
It kind of goes without saying that the Diablotek PHD650 is a giant steaming pile of crap. The PHD650 is a bad 300 watt power supply, let alone a "650 watt" power supply
You wont find many reviews of these PSU's as they are already known to be crap without testing them.
A review of a 1050w unit http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=187 it managed to produce only 500w, half its rated wattage.

Ahzurre24

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
I thought I tried every single thing, but I just tried something else. It was related to the power, but the PSU wasn't to blame (potentially). The motherboard had phase control set, which I found out is not recommended (unless you're trying to save power and not play games). I disabled it and nothing has crashed so far!

BTW, most of this was a bare bones kit, and that included the PSU. (This is my first system build, so PSU's weren't necessarily my strong suit).

Hopefully this helps others with this problem. If the problem does return though, I'll see about getting a new PSU. Thanks for the tip.