Corsair HX850 enough for 570s in SLI?

NO it wouldn't unless you only run the 2 video cards and I doubt that would even work. My 2X GTX480's in SLI can hit 850 watts on their own when overclocked. It just depends on what you are doing with them. Also if you run that power supply and do anything like extended gaming the fan in the PSU could get quite loud. I wouldn't recommend anything that close to the limits for power.

For a system running with two GeForce GTX 570 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum 800 Watt or greater power supply with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 56 Amps or greater and with at least four 6-pin PCI-Express Supplementary Power Connectors should be used.

The Corsair Professional Series HX850W PSU, with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 70 Amps and four PCI-Express Supplementary Power Connectors is more than sufficient.

It's not the PSU's total wattage that determines whether or not the PSU is capable. Always look at the PSU's combined +12 Volt continuous current rating as that is the most important specification followed by the PSU's DC Output Quality.

Do you really think that each of your cards consumes an extra 170w because they're OC'd? How have you measured this?

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I'm actually surprised more people aren't suggesting 1000w PSUs. Not because he'd need one, just because people way over-estimate power requirements. For me, it's easier to think of in terms of amps first. It's a 219w GPU, so it needs 19a (rounding up). A 95w CPU needs 8a. 19a + 19a + 8a = 46a. So it needs 46a (or 550w) on the 12v rail. The other parts don't need 12v power, so you can just add the wattage to keep it simple. mobo (50w) + ram (10w for 2 sticks) + hdd (10w) + dvd (10w) + fans (10w each) means the rest of your parts uses ~100w. Then you add ~100w to account for headroom (so your psu isn't running at max power) and overclocking room. And that accounts for all the parts running at max usage at the same time, which simply won't ever happen. I would be comfortable running a sandy bridge cpu with sli 570s on a decent 750w psu. 850w should be plenty.

I have measured it with my meter that sits on the computer and tells me the wattage used by the system. Then the rest is easy to figure out.

Well if your system starts having problems after say 1 yr of service and degradation you know what you will have to fix. PSU's are the part of a computer I would always spend more money on to make sure it will power everything for 5 yrs.

thebski

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I have a Seasonic M12D 850W that powers my 2 EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked editions along with an i7 920 OC'ed to 4.0 Ghz. I think you would probably be fine. I game a lot at 5760x1080 too, so my cards are under maximum load a lot of the time.

I take it you don't know how to figure out what a processor and motherboard use for power and then what the video cards do. NM, I am not going to waste my time with you or this discussion anymore.

Actually after building PC's for 30 yrs I have a very good idea what it takes to run a PC for 5 yrs at 24/7/365. If you read about power supplies and what they can do at the initial fire up compared to after 5 yrs of use you will see what I am talking about. If you don't plan on using the system for at least 3yrs before buy something new have at it, get whatever power supply works.

I on the other hand like to know that my systems will run 24/7/365 and do without dieing from a weak part. My normal computers crunch Seti during the time when I am not using them and rarely get a break other then a cleaning every 3 months. I also go far beyond what other people do for stability testing when doing overclocking.

robin banks uk

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

i have seen in some reviews that a xfx psu (silver) can pop with a big bang! (smoke & little fires) now i would not tell any one to buy.

thebski

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009

Well, I don't know much about PC Power and Cooling power supplies, but I do know that you pay for what you get when it comes to power supplies. I would never buy anything but the best when it comes to power supplies because you have $1000's of equpiment behind it.

In my opinion the best is Seasonic when it comes to quality and power output. Others will tell you Corsair, Cooler Master, etc. Just do the research on whichever model you buy and I'm sure you'll be fine. The only reason I made the 5 year warranty remark is because you can run it every hour you want for 5 years like the guy above was saying as long as it has a 5 year (or longer) warranty.

What reviews are you reading? Did these reviewers hook up the power supply unit to a hot box, load tester and oscilloscope? If they didn't, then they don't have any empirical data to back up what they say, then it's only an opinion not a review.

The two reputable reviews on the PC Power & Cooling Silencer MkII 950W PSU that I've read say that this PSU has mediocre AC ripple and noise suppression.