Need a BIOS upgrade but dont know how?

dumbo2

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
My computer randomly crashes & the microsoft error tells me it is because i need a bios update. I had more memory put in by pc world in april & it seems to have happened since then. I have tried visiting the packard bell website support center for help but it doesnt recognise my computer model - Imedia 1559 Model type UTOW RIO serial nr 049845920046 purchased 25.9.06. I had two Integral DDR2 1GB 5300 installed in april to speed up my computer but it looks as though the old BIOS is now not compatible with this new installed memory. Is this correct and how can i fix it?
Thank you
Wendy

dumbo2

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012

Thank you so much for your help abekl - and thanks for the link. I have downloaded & run the file so crossed fingers!

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I would advise caution if your computer is crashing very quickly. Updating the BIOS only takes a minute or two but if it crashes midway you may be left with a non functioning motherboard.

Packard Bell have a Live updater thing by the look of it on their website, perhaps that would find something.

I myself would be tempted to remove the newer problem memory before attempting the update (and even then if there was a choice between a Windows flasher and a USB stick, I'd go for the latter).

It might be worth running memtest for a little while and see what it says. You may be in a position of contacting PC World and getting them to swap out the supplied memory under warranty as I assume they charged you for the service (some machines are just picky, shouldn't be the case nowadays really).

Kent_Diego

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2003
Microsoft may say that but I am sure updating BIOS will not fix. You have a hardware problem. Trying to update BIOS could permanently ruin the motherboard if you get crash in middle of flash. Fix the hardware. Is CPU heat sink well attached to CPU? Heat sink full of dust? CPU fan spinning? Power supply fan spinning? Run Memtest86 to see if your RAM is OK. Maybe bad power supply RAM or motherboard. Keep replacing items until fixed.