First build ever!

My son and I thought it would be a great learning experience to build our own computer. We are looking for an affordable gaming computer for my son who is just starting gaming (age 8). Here is what I have so far... Thoughts?

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Power Supply: Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda Green ST1000DL002 1TB 5900 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Bare Drive -Bare Drive

Video card: ??????

Still need to find and optical drive and wanted to know peoples thoughts on adding an internal SSD for windows only? Any other parts that I am missing? Thanks so much for the help as this is our first ever build!
4 answers Last reply
More about first build ever
  1. Give us more information please...what's your budget? What's your monitor resolution? What games will you play?
  2. You are on the right path , but you can have later and more upgradable technology at the same price
    AMD is about to release newer processors , and you can buy motherboards that support them

ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131767

Without a link to your RAM I cant see which model it is , but for future upgrades make sure you are getting 1.5 volt sticks

The 955 phenom is the exact same part clocked a little lower and since the multiplier is unlocked you can change it to 965 [ and beyond] speeds in about a minute

"green" hard drives spin slower , use a watt or two less power, but take a big performance hit . I would not buy one for general use . The samsung F3 is the current performance king
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
  3. I have not picked out a monitor yet.... Also I am looking to stay below $700 if possible.
  4. In many ways the monitor is the first choice you need to make .

The screen resolution [ not the actual panel size ] is critical . The graphics card has to calculate what to do with each pixel , and since higher resolution screens get that way by having more pixels its progressively harder to get good image quality and high frame rates
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product