Games crash to desktop or total system restart

Ahzurre24

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Hello, I just built my first pc and everything seems to run well, except when I try and play games. They will indeed play (beautifully) for a couple minutes before they just quit, or shutdown the computer altogether.

My build:
Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
Mobo: MSI P67A-C43
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GB
Processor: Intel Core i5
Power: Diablotek DA Series 600w ATX
Video: EVGA NVidia GeForce GTX 460

I have the latest video drivers. I think it is a video card issue though, as I've run a cpu stress test, and a memtest, those are fine. I've reconnected everything as well. I only have this problem when I start up a game.

Has anyone else ran into this problem, or know of a solution? Thanks in advance!

frequently, games might crash if the PSU is a bit weak/ GPU possibly power starved....

(not all 600 watt PSUs are created equally; a test of a no-name Chinese 700 watt unit at HardOP had it pop/explode/burst into flames at a mere 350 watt load....; not saying this applies to your PSU, but, it is still a likely suspect for your symptoms)

YOu might also double check mem timings, and/or check your system briefly w/ but a single RAM module, check both of them

Ahzurre24

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
I thought I tried every single thing, but I just tried something else. It was related to the power, but the PSU wasn't to blame. The motherboard had phase control set, which I found out is not recommended (unless you're trying to save power and not play games). I disabled it and nothing has crashed so far!

Thanks for the reply though. Hopefully this helps others with this problem.