Solved

Need help with motherboard and chipset

I'm going to build my own pc and i would like to overclock and game with this so i am getting an i5-3570k ivy bridge processor and im lost as to motherboards and chipset. I'm partial to asus and like i said i would like to over clock so what do you suggest is the best motherboard and chipset that will allow me to overclock and also what type of speed could i get out of this processor, stable of course. thanks for any help.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need motherboard chipset
  1. You want a Z77 motherboard.

You can probably get to 4.4ghz with a good aftermarket cooler.
  2. Best answer
    Agreed on motherboard's chipset and CPU frequency. Also, a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus or Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo are excellent CPU coolers for $20-40, depending on current pricing. They have similar cooling effectiveness, but the Evo is usually a little more expensive and a little quieter.

Also, I recommend an ASRock or MSI motherboard if low price is necessary. They have some of the best lower priced boards and Asus seems to be more picky about memory than other brands are, but is otherwise great, but I find it to be often more difficult to find a great Asus board at a low price. Just to be sure, what is the budget here?
  3. ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131820

You might need a better cooler solution for you i5-3570k if you are really into serious overclock (4.4GHz).

Noctua NH-D14 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018
  4. 4.4GHz can be done on a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and Evo just fine. Going to the Noctua NH-D14 would be better suited for a slightly higher overclock. Also, $180 is a lot of money for a motherboard. I wouldn't pay that much for an LGA 1155 motherboard unless I was going for a triple or quad graphics card system.
  5. Quote:
    the best motherboard and chipset that will allow me to overclock and also what type of speed could i get out of this processor, stable of course.

you can overclock with a Z77 or Z75 (if you do not need/want a RAID or a SSD as a cache disk)

an important criteria for achieving a higher stable overclock is the VRMs (or phases) used. a motherboard with a 4+1 will not perform as well overclocking than a 8+2 power delivery (cpu+igpu).
  6. Anonymous said:
    Quote:
    the best motherboard and chipset that will allow me to overclock and also what type of speed could i get out of this processor, stable of course.

you can overclock with a Z77 or Z75 (if you do not need/want a RAID or a SSD as a cache disk)

an important criteria for achieving a higher stable overclock is the VRMs (or phases) used. a motherboard with a 4+1 will not perform as well overclocking than a 8+2 power delivery (cpu+igpu).

I'm pretty sure that the + phases are not for the IGP. I think that they go to the chipset or the memory.
  7. VRM's are for the cpu power.
  8. geekapproved said:
    VRM's are for the cpu power.

In a 4+1 (or any VRM with a +) VRM config, I think that the 4 go to the CPU, but I don't think that the extra 1 (or any other number after the +) goes to the CPU. I'll have to check.
  9. i looked at some asrocks on newegg and some asus and the only difference was about $20 in price and my budget is around 180 but wouldn't want to go that high unless it was really worth it.
  10. blazorthon said:
    In a 4+1 (or any VRM with a +) VRM config, I think that the 4 go to the CPU, but I don't think that the extra 1 (or any other number after the +) goes to the CPU. I'll have to check.

i believe i unwittingly used a poor example:
    on boards without support for an igpu (P67) it would be 4+1; 4 to the cpu and 1 to the memory IC. on boards with igpu support (Z68/77, H67/77, ect.) it would be 4+1+1 or 4+2; 4 to the cpu and 1 to each the IC and igpu.

though i think we can all agree the more phases, 8 as opposed to 4, the better stability to overclock.
  11. vtcramennoodle said:
    i looked at some asrocks on newegg and some asus and the only difference was about $20 in price and my budget is around 180 but wouldn't want to go that high unless it was really worth it.

look for features you do or do not want:
    (as an example)
    wireless: is it necessary? Esata?

there isn't much logic in buying features you won't be using.
  12. Best answer selected by vtcramennoodle.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Overclocking Chipsets Product