Do I have to re install Windows 7? (mobo change)

oppa90

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Hello. Before I say anything, I'm not too technical on PCs so I apologize in advance for my ignorance :D

I recently replaced my ASROCK H77M with a ASROCK Z77 PRO3 1155 in order to take

full advantage of my i5 2500k's overclocking capability(H77m does not support cpu OC).

For some reason, it did not prompt me to reinstall anything (spcially windows 7).

After installing the mobo, the pc powered up as if nothing has happened other than the new motherboard

and new oc'ing capabilities. Everything seems installed and i can use all the apps/games like normal.

I didnt even have to reinstall any driver from the cd that came with the new mobo(asrock z77)

Is this normal?

If i'm not mistaken, windows 7 license key is permanently attached to the motherboard used to install the OS correct?

What I mean is it shouldn't be possible to have the same license key in two different motherboards.

Because the last time i changed my motherboard from a msi 785gt-e63(w/ athlon 2 x4 640) to

the h77m mobo(w/ i5 2500k), i had to reinstall everything including windows 7

and had to get a new license key from microsoft.

Should i still reinstall windows 7 since i changed my motherboard?

i would rather not if its ok honestly(not a fan of Microsoft customer service)

but if i do, will i need a new license key again like before when i went from msi 785gt to h77m motherboard?

any help would be appreciated, thank you :)

Solution
You can probably get away with not needing to re-install Windows over a mere motherboard change, but it is recommended. You probably had to re-install previously because you changed CPU companies. Also, I don't think that a license key is linked to a motherboard because I've changed motherboards several times with other builds and never had a problem from it. If I re-installed, I did so using the same key and I didn't need to talk to MS support.
You can probably get away with not needing to re-install Windows over a mere motherboard change, but it is recommended. You probably had to re-install previously because you changed CPU companies. Also, I don't think that a license key is linked to a motherboard because I've changed motherboards several times with other builds and never had a problem from it. If I re-installed, I did so using the same key and I didn't need to talk to MS support.

Solution
Yep, you probably should, but you may be able to get away with it. If things start to go south then you could re-install. What version Windows did you get? Is it an OEM version, or a retail version. The OEM Version is tied to the motherboard and the retail version is not tied to the motherboard.

oppa90

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012

microsoft gave me a new license key when i went from msi 785gt to asrock h77m.

currently, i am using the same key with asrock z77 pro that was given to me by microsoft.

i suppose the new key microsoft gave is considered retail?

wabbit_season

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
just reinstall windows, the new microsoft key, if OEM, is tied strictly to the first mobo, which means that you're gonna need a new version. if you're in university or have a child in university, you can usually get a copy of windows 7 for free or a reduced price.

oppa90

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
windows 7 reinstallation was a success :)

i used the same key from the h77m mobo to my z77 and it worked like a charm.

activated it online and found the key to be genuine.

thank you for all the help.