Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
PC specs:
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
core 2 duo e7400 @ 2.8Ghz
XFX Radeon 5770 HD
dg31pr motherboard
4GB DDR2 Ram..

cant play games like hot pursuit, just cause 2, crysis etc even at the lowest settings..my drivers are up to date..it lags like hell..
any help..?

randykeith

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

600 watts supply and 1366x768 resolution..

randykeith

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
when running hot pursuit at high settings the CPU usage is around 75-80% and memory usage is around 2.15 GB (out of 4GB)..my GPU is also good enough to run this game at resolution 1366x768...so what's causing this lag.. :(

randykeith

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

Cooler master extreme power plus 600w psu..!

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Did you check your settings for ATI Catalyst Control Center like dormantreign suggested?

Is anything else using much of your CPU while you're playing these games? Like an antivirus program or anything.

You could check memory speeds and timings and see if they are correct in Windows using CPU-Z or a utility for your motherboard or in BIOS. Could also check if your RAM is running in dual-channel mode.

Maybe you're hitting your swap file (paging file) on HDD. You could try chaning your virtual memory settings and checking "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives."

randykeith

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

While running games i wont run any other program..
yes the ram is running in dual channel mode..is that all right?

Maybe you're hitting your swap file (paging file) on HDD. You could try chaning your virtual memory settings and checking "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives."

Sorry but what is this and how to do this..??
Also the GPU load is constantly at 100% while playing..is this a problem?

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Dual channel is good, you want it in dual channel mode so leave it like that.

Swap or paging file is referred to as 'virtual memory' and it's a file on your hard drive that Windows will use like RAM if you run out of physical RAM. Windows shouldn't do that unless all of your physical RAM is in use. Too see the settings do the following:

1. Open start menu and type 'advanced system settings' and hit enter
2. Check the 'Settings' button inside the 'Performance' section
3. Click the 'Advanced' tab
4. Click the 'Change' button
5. Click the check box at the top that reads 'Automatically manage paging file size for all drives'

Go ahead and change that setting, it's one I like to always use. However, if your CPU is always at 100%, then it seems to be bottlenecking the rest of your system and provides good reason to think it's the source of all of your problems. Earlier you said it was about 75-80% and that shouldn't really be a problem. 100% would be a problem though because all of your CPU cycles are being used faster than it can handle.

Somebody else should chime in. I didn't think those games would completely overload an E7400 but I could be wrong.

randykeith, play one of your problem games and see if both cores of your CPU are at 100% in task manager under the 'Performance' tab. Also, look under 'Processes' tab in task manager and see what all processes are using your CPU. Tell me anything that's using more than 00 under the CPU column and tell me what the number is for each process (.exe).

randykeith

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

Playing crysis at 1366x768 resolution (high) :
GPU core clock : 850 mhz
Gpu memory clock :1200 mhz
GPU temperature : 78 degrees
Fan speed : 53%
GPU load : 100%

CPU performance :
one core : 100%
other core : around 60%
memory usage : 1.78 GB
crysis.exe uses 43 under CPU column and memory (private working set) 796,591k..
dwm.exe uses 03 under CPu column..
FPS: 5-10 probably..

it is the GPU which is under 100% constant load..!

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
My bad, I read your previous post wrong and read GPU as CPU. Yea, seems like your current in-game settings are just too much for the card. You mentioned this happens even at lowest settings. Does crysis have an option for it to auto-detect the best settings for your system? You could try that. Or just make sure options like antialiasing and anisotropic filtering are disabled/off. It seems like RAM is fine and your CPU is skating by with not quite both cores at 100%. I forget the graphic settings in Crysis since it's been so long since I've played it. But I think I remember it being able to auto detect your system and recommend best settings.

EDIT: 2 more questions. Is your card a 512MB or 1GB card? and are you gaming in window mode by any chance? If you are, don't do that and game in full screen mode. Window mode puts more strain on your video card.