Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer can't turn on after bios flashing

Last response: in Motherboards
August 26, 2012 4:11:36 AM

Hi everybody,

I have a problem, I was trying to update the bios of my motherboard, but something went horrible. It was doing the flashing process and then I realized my pc was in a turn-off-turn-on cycle. It turns on for half second then it turns off, repeating forever. I want to know if its possible to fix that or if my mobo is dead.

I have an MSI P67A-G43 motherboard and I was trying to update from BIOS 1H to the latest version which was 5.3. This also updates the firmware from version ME7 to ME8.

So I did what the support page and the guide said: http://event.msi.com/mb/22nm/Bios_ME7_to%20_ME8_update_...

- I downloaded the installer and copied into a usb pen drive.
- I closed all applications and ran the installer from the pen drive.
- I waited until the pc rebooted and was into the BIOS ME update screen.

I thought it was going well so I didn't pay attention and when suddenly I noticed that turn-off-turn-on cycle.

Please any help is welcome.
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2012 7:32:50 AM

Try Hard Resetting the BIOS. Disconnect all power sources including the power to the monitor. now press the power button to discharge any static. Now locate and remove your CMOS battery and keep it aside for some time like five minutes or so. Now reconnect all power sources and without putting the battery back into the mobo, boot up your system if you ge CMOS checksum error and can boot into WIndows/Linux you are back in business. Shutdown and replace the battery :) 
m
l
August 26, 2012 12:31:51 PM

thanks for your help. I did that but doesn't work. The pc cannot be turned on without the battery. Any other solution?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2012 10:17:48 AM

okay i read up a bit on your board and it seems you need to keep the USB pendrive in the slot and wait for the ME update to finish. It says on MSI website that the system will reboot several times and maybe thats the on - off cycle your are seeing (hopefully).

Although I hate to say this, in all probability you may have to RMA the board
good luck
-satyam
August 28, 2012 1:01:58 AM

satyamdubey said:
okay i read up a bit on your board and it seems you need to keep the USB pendrive in the slot and wait for the ME update to finish. It says on MSI website that the system will reboot several times and maybe thats the on - off cycle your are seeing (hopefully).

Although I hate to say this, in all probability you may have to RMA the board
good luck
-satyam

Yeah, I read that too, I kept the pen drive in the slot for several minutes and no luck. Also, I doubt that behavior means "reboot several times". As soon as it gets power it goes off, like I said before, less than 0.5 secs.

So the final answer will be that my mobo is dead and i have to RMA?
m
l
August 28, 2012 2:56:15 AM

You may be able to flash the BIOS from the SPI port on the motherboard. Google SPIPGM2.exe and search Youtube for tutorial.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2012 6:50:32 AM

^ That may be a good idea but I have no experience with that tool..might be better to just maximize your chances of a good exchange offer from MSI by not meddling with the board anymore and just RMA'ing it...
m
l
August 29, 2012 2:28:52 AM

Kent_Diego said:
You may be able to flash the BIOS from the SPI port on the motherboard. Google SPIPGM2.exe and search Youtube for tutorial.

Thanks for the info. I did a small research about that and watched a tutorial in youtube. But I think that is not possible. All the info I found about flashing from SPI involves systems that are running but don't get picture in the monitor, or systems that can boot in DOS. I can barely get my pc powered on for a half second before it turns off. Please tell me if I'm right.
m
l
August 29, 2012 5:16:12 AM

drak0 said:
Thanks for the info. I did a small research about that and watched a tutorial in youtube. But I think that is not possible. All the info I found about flashing from SPI involves systems that are running but don't get picture in the monitor, or systems that can boot in DOS. I can barely get my pc powered on for a half second before it turns off. Please tell me if I'm right.

You need some old computer to program the non-working motherboard. You do not power up the motherboard at all. Nowadays only old computers have a parallel printer port anyway.
m
l
August 31, 2012 3:30:36 PM

Kent_Diego said:
You need some old computer to program the non-working motherboard. You do not power up the motherboard at all. Nowadays only old computers have a parallel printer port anyway.

Oh, I got it. That's why a spare psu is needed to connect it through the spi. But I dont have any old pc and dont know if anyone have. :( 

I guess I just RMA the board.

Thanks anyway.
m
l
September 3, 2012 2:38:29 PM

Best answer selected by drak0.
m
l
!