Solved

New Gaming Rig *First Build*

Hey guys, I want to make a new gaming PC For $1000-$1500 (the cheaper the better).
I would like to run WoW on high-ultra settings with decent fps.. and when BF3 comes out get good FPS on medium to high settings... So here is what i was looking at.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129087 Ive already got a case but im scared not everything will fit into it.. :pfff:

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131771 Is this one worth the money?

Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604 I have been looking around for a long time trying to find a good Graphics Card, will this do?

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072 Dont know much about CPU...

Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314 Do i only need about 4gb ram?

Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005 ...

Ive already got a monitor from my old comp, quite large good monitor :), ive also got a dvd drive with an asus HDD cable.. and a CPU fan that i hope will fit into the new mobo i get.

So will i get what i am hoping for? and is there anything i am missing that is necessary or i can upgrade before i buy, Thanks Heaps!! :)
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming first build
  1. You want a 750w psu if you plan on pushing two of those cards and have something left over for o/c.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049 $94.99 - $69.99 after mail-in rebate FREE SHIPPING
    Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271 $129.99
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.694806 $264.98 FREE SHIPPING
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185 $59.99 FREE SHIPPING
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065 $27.99 FREE SHIPPING
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118039 $19.99 FREE SHIPPING
    Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B - OEM

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986 $99.99 FREE SHIPPING
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3 <---- a better look at that ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp?s=1155 <------ All the Gen3 boards on there have the new PCI-E 3.0 slots for the new generation vid cards.

    Wider case...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197 $99.99 - $89.99 after mail-in rebate FREE SHIPPING
    COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103072 $19.99 FREE SHIPPING
    COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200 R4-LUS-07AR-GP 200mm Red LED Case Fan
  2. Why_Me said:
    You want a 750w psu if you plan on pushing two of those cards and have something left over for o/c.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049 $94.99 - $69.99 after mail-in rebate FREE SHIPPING
    Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271 $129.99
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.694806 $264.98 FREE SHIPPING
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185 $59.99 FREE SHIPPING
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3 <---- a better look at that ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp?s=1155 <------ All the Gen3 boards on there have the new PCI-E 3.0 slots for the new generation vid cards.

    Wider case...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197 $99.99 - $89.99 after mail-in rebate FREE SHIPPING
    COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103072 $19.99 FREE SHIPPING
    COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200 R4-LUS-07AR-GP 200mm Red LED Case Fan


    Thanks for the reply, that rig will run BF3 ob medium-high setting's and wow on high-ultra? thanks again.
  3. honker55 said:
    Thanks for the reply, that rig will run BF3 ob medium-high setting's and wow on high-ultra? thanks again.

    I'm not sure what your monitors resolution is, but if it's the standard 1920 x 1080 then you want to get two of those 560's now...and with your budget that shouldn't be any problem. That's a lot of money though for that Antec case, not to mention that case is narrow.

    dual gtx 560ti's in SLI > single gtx 580
  4. Why_Me said:
    I'm not sure what your monitors resolution is, but if it's the standard 1920 x 1080 then you want to get two of those 560's now...and with your budget that shouldn't be any problem. That's a lot of money though for that Antec case, not to mention that case is narrow.

    dual gtx 560ti's in SLI > single gtx 580


    Is using two graphics cards a bit dogey? all up that is 1,104 without shipping costs.. Do i need to buy Windows 7? and could you please link me a nice cheap case Thanks!!
  5. Quote:
    Toms did a great piece on micro stuttering, A single card setup will run the smoothest with a 2card setup having some stuttering issues and 3 card setups having a smaller stuttering issue but only a small increase in performance compared by the two card setup.

    So imo I would either

    a. go with a single powerful card
    a2. add a 2nd later if you hear good things
    b. go with a 3card setup like 3x 6850's and oc them for epic win
    c. spend your money however you see fit >_<


    micro stutter + scaling thread - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html


    I would like to go with two cards but im not too sure on how to install them :P , do you have any suggestions on more powerful Grahpics Card? but not over 750 dollers lol
  6. honker55 said:
    Is using two graphics cards a bit dogey? all up that is 1,104 without shipping costs.. Do i need to buy Windows 7? and could you please link me a nice cheap case Thanks!!

    If you want to go with just a single card set up then there are cheaper boards for that.

    As far as getting one powerful card now and one later on...well it's like this. A single gtx 580 won't run BF3 on max settings on a standard 1920 x1080 monitor. Now figure out that the new generation cards are due out sometime around X-mas. Everyone wants the new toys (the newer hotter tech) by the time they get around to adding a second card. BF3 is coded for SLI. I would get two of those cards now and just do it.

    As far as a case and Windows...check my build up above, I edited that post and added it on there along with a killer case.
  7. honker55 said:
    I would like to go with two cards but im not too sure on how to install them :P , do you have any suggestions on more powerful Grahpics Card? but not over 750 dollers lol


    It's a SLI bridge that comes with the board. It's pretty much plug and play.

    If you want to go the one now, and old tech later...another card I mean then this down below.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371050 $129.99 - $109.99 after mail-in rebate FREE SHIPPING
    Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130590 $489.99 - $469.99 after mail-in rebate card FREE SHIPPING
    EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
  8. Why_Me said:
    It's a SLI bridge that comes with the board. It's pretty much plug and play.

    If you want to go the one now, and old tech later...another card I mean then this down below.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371050 $129.99 - $109.99 after mail-in rebate FREE SHIPPING
    Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130590 $489.99 - $469.99 after mail-in rebate card FREE SHIPPING
    EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card


    I think ill go with the two Graphics Cards :) So here is what ive got..


    Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=1q3yr2sq6ebk6

    Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=1qhd0f503oo0e

    CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.694806&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=1nq6281ftyh0x

    Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=tnls8x9a72qx

    Software: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=1b3ynuhcpnwuj

    Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=1ethnmb3d4avc x2

    Ive got some fans left over from my old comp.. (it wont stop crashing after 60- seconds) :(
    So am i set? :)
  9. Best answer
    honker55 said:

    Nice :) If you use that combo(RAM + cpu) I posted up above you save some money. Also seeing how your running dual cards, add the 200mm case fan to that case.

    You can get it on newegg for $20 + free shipping or cheaper @ amazon.

    http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Computer-Cooling-R4-LUS-07AR-GP/dp/B002LE8BJA/ref=pd_cp_e_pw_2 <---- amazon link, and on newegg go to "case fans > Cooler Master > 200mm fans
  10. Why_Me said:
    Nice :) If you use that combo(RAM + cpu) I posted up above you save some money. Also seeing how your running dual cards, add the 200mm case fan to that case.

    You can get it on newegg for $20 + free shipping or cheaper @ amazon.

    http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Computer-Cooling-R4-LUS-07AR-GP/dp/B002LE8BJA/ref=pd_cp_e_pw_2 <---- amazon link, and on newegg go to "case fans > Cooler Master > 200mm fans


    Thank you for all your help you were great haha :)
  11. Best answer selected by honker55.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product