PSU question for new rig - i5 2500k quad core

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Quad Core
  • Intel i5
  • Components
Last response: in Components
November 22, 2011 10:16:55 PM

Haven't decided on the mobo yet, I'll most likely make a thread on that in a different forum if this thread doesn't solve my question.

I'm aiming towards the P67 or Z68 MOBO with the i5 quad core 2500k sandy bridge. I don't know much about hardware which is why I'm here!

That said, I just purchased 8gb of ddr3 memory. at this point in time, I'm probably going to purchase the 460 gtx GPU.

so as of now I have the i5 2500k, 8gb ddr3, and 460 gtx (MOST LIKELY).

Will the Cooler master 700w suffice?
Cooler Master RS700-PCAAE3-US eXtreme Power Plus 700-Watt Power Supply - ATX, 700W, 120mm Fan

More about : psu question rig 2500k quad core

November 22, 2011 10:22:21 PM

If its only 1 GTX460 you're talking about then yes, a 500Watt PSU could power that easily ;) 
m
l
November 22, 2011 10:36:39 PM

Yes, I don't plan on doing SLI anytime soon. In fact, I think I read that the aforementioned PSU doesn't support 2 GPUs?

@ChrisCornell, Do you have any recommendations on a good Mobo? I was thinking somewhere around 150 USD.
m
l
Related resources
November 22, 2011 10:41:21 PM

Well the ASUS P8Z68-V LX is a pretty cheap board. I've used it in a couple of builds, and its a solid performer :) 

If you plan on getting another GTX 460 later you'll need the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO motherboard, as the ASUS P8Z68-V LX only supports crossfire.
m
l
November 22, 2011 11:03:58 PM

chriscornell said:
Well the ASUS P8Z68-V LX is a pretty cheap board. I've used it in a couple of builds, and its a solid performer :) 

If you plan on getting another GTX 460 later you'll need the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO motherboard, as the ASUS P8Z68-V LX only supports crossfire.

you're the best, Chris! :D  I found it for only $120.

2 final questions:

Do you know any sites/tutorials/videos that can help me with putting my PC together step by step, part by part? Something that includes good cable management and whatnot.

The only thing I have left to order is a case. I was looking for something mid tower, nothing too big just enough space to fit everything and enough room to breath. If you have any ideas off the top of your head, list them here! Thanks again :) 
m
l
November 22, 2011 11:28:19 PM

I build roughly 15-20 computers per year and earlier I mostly used Cooler Master or Antec cases, but I recently bought a Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower and I must say - This is my favourite Miditower atm.

It's fairly cheap
Nice looking
Built quality and cable management is well above average

There is a review here from Anandtech if you want to know more: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4878/fractal-design-arc-m...

As for guides - Youtube is your friend ;)  There are loads of very good building guides there.
m
l
November 22, 2011 11:35:34 PM

chriscornell said:
I build roughly 15-20 computers per year and earlier I mostly used Cooler Master or Antec cases, but I recently bought a Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower and I must say - This is my favourite Miditower atm.

It's fairly cheap
Nice looking
Built quality and cable management is well above average

There is a review here from Anandtech if you want to know more: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4878/fractal-design-arc-m...

As for guides - Youtube is your friend ;)  There are loads of very good building guides there.

I can't thank you enough, Chris! I'm learning more and more each day I visit these forums. If you have some time, I made a thread in the Motherboard forums regarding the mobo you listed and another one a friend suggested. Take a look if you get a chance! :D 
m
l
November 22, 2011 11:36:35 PM

If you're VERY patient, then this guide is VERY thorough (over 2 hours long)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUY0tP5jYIo

Good luck with everything :hello: 

EDIT: About your motherboard thread = The two boards are very similar in specifications except for the chipset, the ASUS board sports a newer chipset (Z68) which is what I would

prefer if I was to choose between the two. It's all a matter of taste really and the differences are not huge.
m
l
!