Black screen when i turn my computer on

cberry88

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
A user says that his screen remains black when he tries to turn on his desktop computer. Make a list of all the possible causes you can think of for this problem:

Well..... a screen remaining black...... with so little info, it's not even funny trying to list them all. I mean, i could probably list 50+ things that maybe be the issue and none of them would be the correct solution.

To make a list in a more reasonable size, is there anything he/she done already such as checking cables, swaping monitors, ect?

Also, can you list the users computer specs and montitor?

This will be more helpful than just "listing causes".

knewt

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002

Your request makes about this much sense:
A man goes to see a doctor and says, "Doctor, I don't feel well. What is wrong with me?"

I had a user say that to me one time.

The power cord had come loose in the back of the monitor. Pushing it back in was all that was necessary for me to fix it and for me to make the user feel like a retard.

That being said, that is only one possible cause out of many as previous posters have stated.

Ideally, it would be nice if you could get us full system specs including maker, model, and approximate age of every major part (motherboard, processor, ram, video card, monitor, hard drives, etc).

Also, it would be nice if you could get us the settings for power save modes that are present on the computer.

The first thing that you should try almost without question is to switch out the PSU for a known good PSU. If there is another computer in the same office of the same kind that works, try the PSU from that computer in the one that doesn't work.

Almost without exception when a computer starts to age it is pretty much always the PSU that is the first thing to fail. This can cause problems such as the inability to leave standby mode (the +5 SB power cable working outside specifications, for instance).