Seeking camera for longsighted

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
March 26, 2005 3:07:13 PM

I like my Canon digicam (S30) but it has a big (or small) problem for me.
When I set something, lets say fill-in flash on, or exposure comp or
whatever, the setting is displayed on the LCD screen in the form of a tiny
symbol which is v difficult to see without putting reading glasses on. Are
there are any compact-type (or small SLR-type) digicams, which display the
settings in big letters (eg "FILL-IN ON", or "FLASH OFF", or at least a
large easy to read symbol, which people who typically need glasses to read
close up, wouldnt have a problem with? This type of info doesnt seem to make
it into reviews.
TIA
--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 3:07:14 PM

"Tumbleweed" <thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I like my Canon digicam (S30) but it has a big (or small) problem for me.
> When I set something, lets say fill-in flash on, or exposure comp or
> whatever, the setting is displayed on the LCD screen in the form of a tiny
> symbol which is v difficult to see without putting reading glasses on. Are
> there are any compact-type (or small SLR-type) digicams, which display the
> settings in big letters (eg "FILL-IN ON", or "FLASH OFF", or at least a
> large easy to read symbol, which people who typically need glasses to read
> close up, wouldnt have a problem with? This type of info doesnt seem to
make
> it into reviews.
> TIA

Back in the day one thing that always made it into the reviews of film
cameras was the apparent distance of the focusing screen from the eye. Some
cameras had the focusing screen and viewfinder two feet away or more. It now
seems that the typical distance is about four inches. :-)
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 3:25:00 PM

Yes, I have the same problem with the Sony V1 and bought a Pentax *ist Ds
never need my glasses to use it, the screen is superb 2" and hi res.

"Tumbleweed" <thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I like my Canon digicam (S30) but it has a big (or small) problem for me.
>When I set something, lets say fill-in flash on, or exposure comp or
>whatever, the setting is displayed on the LCD screen in the form of a tiny
>symbol which is v difficult to see without putting reading glasses on. Are
>there are any compact-type (or small SLR-type) digicams, which display the
>settings in big letters (eg "FILL-IN ON", or "FLASH OFF", or at least a
>large easy to read symbol, which people who typically need glasses to read
>close up, wouldnt have a problem with? This type of info doesnt seem to
>make it into reviews.
> TIA
> --
> Tumbleweed
>
> email replies not necessary but to contact use;
> tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

March 26, 2005 3:38:17 PM

Tumbleweed wrote:
> I like my Canon digicam (S30) but it has a big (or small) problem for
> me. When I set something, lets say fill-in flash on, or exposure comp
> or whatever, the setting is displayed on the LCD screen in the form
> of a tiny symbol which is v difficult to see without putting reading
> glasses on.

Just get a camera with a decent EVF - one with diopter adjustment - these
can be set to present an image at infinity which requires no reading
glasses.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 6:56:14 PM

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
wrote in message news:ZIc1e.5723$Ab.5233@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Tumbleweed wrote:
>> I like my Canon digicam (S30) but it has a big (or small) problem for
>> me. When I set something, lets say fill-in flash on, or exposure comp
>> or whatever, the setting is displayed on the LCD screen in the form
>> of a tiny symbol which is v difficult to see without putting reading
>> glasses on.
>
> Just get a camera with a decent EVF - one with diopter adjustment - these
> can be set to present an image at infinity which requires no reading
> glasses.
>
> Cheers,
> David

David, that isnt going to help with a tiny symbol on an LCD screen. Looking
through the viewfindre isnt the issue, its seeing the symbols on the LCD. Or
do you mean that there are cameras with an EVF
(??Electronic View Finder??) that display settings on the EVF? Presumably
these would be SLR-types?
And if so, could you recommend some makes?

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 6:56:15 PM

Tumbleweed wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
> message news:ZIc1e.5723$Ab.5233@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Tumbleweed wrote:
>>> I like my Canon digicam (S30) but it has a big (or small) problem
>>> for me. When I set something, lets say fill-in flash on, or exposure
>>> comp or whatever, the setting is displayed on the LCD screen in the
>>> form
>>> of a tiny symbol which is v difficult to see without putting reading
>>> glasses on.
>>
>> Just get a camera with a decent EVF - one with diopter adjustment -
>> these can be set to present an image at infinity which requires no
>> reading glasses.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>
> David, that isnt going to help with a tiny symbol on an LCD screen.
> Looking through the viewfindre isnt the issue, its seeing the symbols
> on the LCD. Or do you mean that there are cameras with an EVF
> (??Electronic View Finder??) that display settings on the EVF?
> Presumably these would be SLR-types?
> And if so, could you recommend some makes?

The My-nolta Dimmidge Xt shows a "large" symbol mid-screen for three
seconds (or until you press the button again) or so as you cycle through
flash options.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

Tumbleweed wrote:
[]
> David, that isnt going to help with a tiny symbol on an LCD screen.
> Looking through the viewfindre isnt the issue, its seeing the symbols
> on the LCD. Or do you mean that there are cameras with an EVF
> (??Electronic View Finder??) that display settings on the EVF?
> Presumably these would be SLR-types?
> And if so, could you recommend some makes?

The EVF (yes, electronic view-finder) display usually mirrors exactly what
is on the LCD. Instead of being a 50mm screen needing to be seen at
reading distance and sitting in the sunlight, the data is presented at
infinity, just like viewing with an SLR. Without the ambient light on the
LCD, the EVF is easier to see, and it doesn't require reading glasses.
The symbols will be the same size relative to the picture. The finder on
an SLR will not exactly mirror the LCD, though, as there is no image
preview.

You would need to check the symbol visibility with each camera you were
interested in. DP Review often gives screen-shots of the LCD/EVF
displays. The cameras I've handled which have decent EVFs are the Minolta
A1 and A2, Nikon 5700, 8400 8800, Panasonic FZ20 etc. The only thing to
watch out for with an EVF is that it should have a dipoter adjustment. I
was recently handed a low-end camera with an optical viewfinder, and no
diopter adjustment - my framing was guesswork!

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 9:44:18 PM

wrote in message news:R7g1e.5807$Ab.154@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Tumbleweed wrote:
> []
>> David, that isnt going to help with a tiny symbol on an LCD screen.
>> Looking through the viewfindre isnt the issue, its seeing the symbols
>> on the LCD. Or do you mean that there are cameras with an EVF
>> (??Electronic View Finder??) that display settings on the EVF?
>> Presumably these would be SLR-types?
>> And if so, could you recommend some makes?
>
> The EVF (yes, electronic view-finder) display usually mirrors exactly what
> is on the LCD. Instead of being a 50mm screen needing to be seen at
> reading distance and sitting in the sunlight, the data is presented at
> infinity, just like viewing with an SLR. Without the ambient light on the
> LCD, the EVF is easier to see, and it doesn't require reading glasses. The
> symbols will be the same size relative to the picture. The finder on an
> SLR will not exactly mirror the LCD, though, as there is no image preview.
>
> You would need to check the symbol visibility with each camera you were
> interested in. DP Review often gives screen-shots of the LCD/EVF
> displays. The cameras I've handled which have decent EVFs are the Minolta
> A1 and A2, Nikon 5700, 8400 8800, Panasonic FZ20 etc. The only thing to
> watch out for with an EVF is that it should have a dipoter adjustment. I
> was recently handed a low-end camera with an optical viewfinder, and no
> diopter adjustment - my framing was guesswork!
>
> Cheers,
> David

Thanks david, very clearly explained, will check these out.

--

!