Sign in with
Your question

Installed new RAM, now the build wont boot. Please help.

Last response: in Systems
August 24, 2011 3:22:23 AM

So I got some new G Skill RAM, 8gb 2x4 DDR3 1600 1.5v. When I replaced my RAM I turned it back on and now the cpu_led light is on. My board is the Asus p8p67 deluxe. The computer turns on and then turns off, only to quickly turn back, and stay, on. When I put the old RAM back in it does the same thing. I get nothing on the monitor and am unsure of what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : installed ram build wont boot

a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2011 6:26:17 AM

Try reseting to factory settings

Try using a single dimm in a single slot to determine if you don't have a faulty DIMM slot.

Try re-connecting cables (last resort)
m
l
August 24, 2011 4:50:44 PM

sarinaide said:
Try reseting to factory settings

Try using a single dimm in a single slot to determine if you don't have a faulty DIMM slot.

Try re-connecting cables (last resort)

I have done all that to no avail. The q-code lights arent on on the board, so Im fairly certain its a MOBO issue. RMA here we come...
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2011 4:56:30 PM

Yip, sounds like a defective board or PSU
m
l
August 24, 2011 5:02:46 PM

sarinaide said:
Yip, sounds like a defective board or PSU

How can I test to see if it is the PSU?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2011 5:06:49 PM

If you have another PSU to test it on. Try only powering the fans.
m
l
August 24, 2011 5:09:23 PM

sarinaide said:
If you have another PSU to test it on. Try only powering the fans.

I don't have another PSU... But when I do power it on, all the fans work, the GPU fan included. Everything seems to be goin' which leads me to think the mobo is the culprit. Ive been reading that asus p8p67 series boards are having issues similar to this.
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2011 5:16:58 PM

0waterbouys said:
So I got some new G Skill RAM, 8gb 2x4 DDR3 1600 1.5v. When I replaced my RAM I turned it back on and now the cpu_led light is on. My board is the Asus p8p67 deluxe. The computer turns on and then turns off, only to quickly turn back, and stay, on. When I put the old RAM back in it does the same thing. I get nothing on the monitor and am unsure of what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Since your motherboard and system was working before, I doubt that it is defective.

It sounds to me like the motherboard bios is trying to find a ram setting that works and allows it to boot. Give it some time.

First, check your motherboard manual to see which set of slots you should use. Using the wrong colored pair can cause issues like you have.

Next, read the manual about the MEMOK button. Press and hold it untill the best ram configuration is found.

You can try to reset the bios to the factory defaults if all else fails.
m
l
August 24, 2011 5:27:59 PM

geofelt said:
Since your motherboard and system was working before, I doubt that it is defective.

It sounds to me like the motherboard bios is trying to find a ram setting that works and allows it to boot. Give it some time.

First, check your motherboard manual to see which set of slots you should use. Using the wrong colored pair can cause issues like you have.

Next, read the manual about the MEMOK button. Press and hold it untill the best ram configuration is found.

You can try to reset the bios to the factory defaults if all else fails.

I have checked to see that I am utilizing the correct slots, I have done single DIMM tests, tried reseting the CMOS, and have tried pressing the MEMOK button. Nothing has worked so far, so I am unsure of what to do next. The only thing I can think is that the mobo or RAM slots got damaged when I was putting the new RAM in.
m
l
August 24, 2011 6:28:40 PM

Like Geofelt wrote, I doubt it's a mobo issue. Unless you're really, really sloppy when installing the new RAM I doubt you damaged the mobo. Put your old RAM back in, if your system boots, it's the new RAM that's causing the issue.

Most motherboards don't recognize 1600 MHz RAM by default. You have to manually set it. If you already manually set the RAM in the bios to 1600 MHz, then that could be causing your issue if your mobo isn't designed to handle that speed. Try resetting the bios RAM speed to 1333 MHz and boot the system and see what happens. If it boots without a hitch, then it's likely your mobo can't handle 1600 MHz RAM speed.

If it still doesn't boot at 1333 MHz, then you likely have defective RAM. Especially if your system boots with your original memory back in place.
m
l
August 24, 2011 6:59:32 PM

Uberragen21 said:
Like Geofelt wrote, I doubt it's a mobo issue. Unless you're really, really sloppy when installing the new RAM I doubt you damaged the mobo. Put your old RAM back in, if your system boots, it's the new RAM that's causing the issue.

Most motherboards don't recognize 1600 MHz RAM by default. You have to manually set it. If you already manually set the RAM in the bios to 1600 MHz, then that could be causing your issue if your mobo isn't designed to handle that speed. Try resetting the bios RAM speed to 1333 MHz and boot the system and see what happens. If it boots without a hitch, then it's likely your mobo can't handle 1600 MHz RAM speed.

If it still doesn't boot at 1333 MHz, then you likely have defective RAM. Especially if your system boots with your original memory back in place.

Yeah, I tried using the old RAM and it didn't work. I know my RAM was set to 1333hz by default. Also, there is the curious case of why it powers on then off for a few seconds and then back on with no input to the monitor and that damn cpu_led light staring at me. The q-code lights arent on either which makes me suspect the board even more. Does any of that sound like reasonable cause to blame the board? Im at a loss, i have no clue why the old RAM wont work. Could it be the proccessor?
m
l
August 24, 2011 7:04:56 PM

Yeah, if your old RAM won't work after trying to install the new RAM, then yes, it sounds like your motherboard got fried. It may have been from a static discharge when you tried to install the new RAM. After you've RMA'd the mobo, make sure you're grounded before you even pull the mobo from the package, and stay grounded the whole time.

You don't need those annoying grounding wrist cables, just make sure you're touching the ground and then the case before you touch the electronic components. And stay in contact with case at all times during the installation. Otherwise you'll have to reground yourself and run the risk of static discharge.
m
l
August 24, 2011 7:08:18 PM

When I get home I'm going to try and re-seat the processor to see if that does anything. Maybe I bumped the heatsink and bent a pin, who knows. Otherwise thanks for the help.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2011 7:16:14 PM

Was there power to the motherboard when you changed the RAM, it may be a short.
m
l
August 24, 2011 7:46:38 PM

Dammit, now that you mention it yes. I didnt unplug the PSU.... I think that had to be it. So if ESD was the culprit which is damaged the board or the RAM? or both?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2011 8:29:04 PM

1] Disconnect everything.
2] Take out the motherboard and put it in your box or something anti-static or neutral.
3] Re-seat your CPU, use a know working RAM module and hook up the motherboard to the power outside the case.

If you don't get a boot it may be that you have shorted, I can't say whether the motherboard or PSU is shorted out.
m
l
August 24, 2011 8:51:03 PM

sarinaide said:
1] Disconnect everything.
2] Take out the motherboard and put it in your box or something anti-static or neutral.
3] Re-seat your CPU, use a know working RAM module and hook up the motherboard to the power outside the case.

If you don't get a boot it may be that you have shorted, I can't say whether the motherboard or PSU is shorted out.

It seems most likely that it is the board though. No q-code leds (which would mean they are damaged.) and all the fans are running, even in the PSU. The only question for me is whether it is the RAM as well.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 25, 2011 5:32:17 AM

It should be under warrenty, take it back and do a swap out.
m
l
!