Sign in with
Your question

What BIOS settings will read my HDD?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 26, 2012 2:48:14 PM

I'm a real novice and have hit some trouble whilst building my gaming computer. When trying to install windows 7, it won't read my Seagate 500gb SATA hdd. After googling the issue, I've discovered the problem may have something to do with my BIOS settings. However, I'm worried about damaging my computer and thus am weary of changing settings in my BIOS. Which setting do I have to change? It's set to IDE istead of RAID, if that helps.

More about : bios settings read hdd

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2012 3:23:49 PM

IDE is fine; a RAID is setting up for multiple disks to be used as "one". you may need to "format" the disk during the installation procedure so win7 can "see it".

and don't worry about "damaging" your computer in the BIOS. if you do something to send it out of whack; you can reset it by either a jumper/button (depending on your mobo) or remove the battery for a few minutes with the computer unplugged.
m
l
August 26, 2012 3:32:56 PM

Ah, okay. Well I tried formatting the disk during the installation of windows7 but it came up with an error. Saying to check to make sure it is fitted correctly. I've double checked the hdd and tried each SATA data port.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2012 3:36:44 PM

a different data cable may help; the ones sent with the motherboard are not always great. double check that the plug is firmly pushed in correctly.
m
l
Related resources
!