G

I bought a new Alienware computer with a Pioneer 16x DVD player. It seems really slow and when I ran SiSoft I recieved the same performence as a 3x DVD player. It's set as the master of the second IDE channel. I'm running a Thunderbird 850, 256mb of pc-133 ram, windows me, and a geforce2 64. anybody know why i'm getting such poor performence?

G

This may not be any help but did you check the dma setting on that drive in windows DMA should be enabled on that drive for best performance

G

Are you having the same problem with the CD-Rom drives.

Download CD-Speed from http://www.cdspeed2000.com

I had serious transfer rate problems with a Promise controller under Win98. I have that same drive, and I was pissed, then I found someone who said go to 2K and the problem goes away. I borrowed a 2K disk from work and tried it, the guy was right. 2K had some bugs to work out, but now that they are, I will upgrade when I get my Scanner software CD in a few days.

I kind of babbled, but the problem was the controller under 98, and not the drive.

G

This was about an older Alienware model (not too old), but I remember that Maximum PC was irked about one of the Alienware boxes that had a faulty controller in the motherboard, and that the system had to use a use a Promise Controller and hog a PCI slot.
This system might or might not be yours, but the review of it was done this past year in MaximumPC.

http://www.maximumpc.com/

Amish

Be careful among the English, you hear?

G

I get speeds of 2x to 3x without DMA enabled, and maximum speeds of about 11x (average of 8) with DMA enabled. The speeds you see at www.cdspeed2000.com is not correct, i never achieved speeds that high. i ahve a pioneer dvd 105S.
Did you enable DMA, and also in your BIOS, because i noticed that you can change these settings there also (on my Abit KT7 RAID).
Is there another (slower) drive connected to the same IDE port? if there is, try removing it, it might slow down your DVD.

otherwise.. hmm, i don't know what's wrong...