Disabling animations in Internet Explorer 6.0

July 7, 2004 7:38:01 AM

Is there a way of disabling the "play animations in web pages" option in IE6 apart from going to Internet Options>Advanced>Multimedia. We need to apply this accross the network and as of now, haven't managed to find a registry change or GPO that will do the trick. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 8:51:04 AM

Paul_H wrote:
> Is there a way of disabling the "play animations in web pages" option
> in IE6 apart from going to Internet Options>Advanced>Multimedia. We
> need to apply this accross the network and as of now, haven't managed
> to find a registry change or GPO that will do the trick. Any help on
> this would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Paul

The registry location is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\AdvancedOptions\MULTIMEDIA\ANIMAT

In this key there are 2 values (Checked Value and Default Value) that
control this option. Set both values to "no".

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org
July 7, 2004 10:15:02 AM

Thanks Ronnie,

I've just tried that one and it doesn't seem to work. The end goal is to apply this to a farm of Citrix servers (running 2003 Server) but I'm aiming to get this applied to XP Pro first. I've tried the reg change on both server and XP Pro OS's (with reboots) and no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Paul_H wrote:
> > Is there a way of disabling the "play animations in web pages" option
> > in IE6 apart from going to Internet Options>Advanced>Multimedia. We
> > need to apply this accross the network and as of now, haven't managed
> > to find a registry change or GPO that will do the trick. Any help on
> > this would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Paul
>
> The registry location is:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\AdvancedOptions\MULTIMEDIA\ANIMAT
>
> In this key there are 2 values (Checked Value and Default Value) that
> control this option. Set both values to "no".
>
> --
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> http://www.dts-l.org
> http://www.mvps.org

July 7, 2004 3:48:45 PM

Paul_H wrote:
> Thanks Ronnie,
>
> I've just tried that one and it doesn't seem to work. The end goal is
> to apply this to a farm of Citrix servers (running 2003 Server) but
> I'm aiming to get this applied to XP Pro first. I've tried the reg
> change on both server and XP Pro OS's (with reboots) and no luck. Any
> ideas?

Paul

Works OK here? Once you do change this setting, you can prevent tampering
with the Group Policy Editor.

"Disable the Advanced page" policy (located in \User
Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet
Explorer\Internet Control Panel) removes the Advanced tab from the
interface.

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Hi Paul,

That works fine for me. Meanwhile, try the another option:

Undo the earlier procedure and try this:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
Set "Play_Animations" to "No"

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

AumHa VSOP: http://www.aumha.org

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Paul_H wrote:
> > Is there a way of disabling the "play animations in web pages" option
> > in IE6 apart from going to Internet Options>Advanced>Multimedia. We
> > need to apply this accross the network and as of now, haven't managed
> > to find a registry change or GPO that will do the trick. Any help on
> > this would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Paul
>
> The registry location is:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\AdvancedOptions\MULTIMEDIA\ANIMAT
>
> In this key there are 2 values (Checked Value and Default Value) that
> control this option. Set both values to "no".
>
> --
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> http://www.dts-l.org
> http://www.mvps.org
July 12, 2004 11:42:08 AM

Thanks guys,

My mistake with this as it is actually working on WinXP pro the change seems to have the reversed the effects. By changing the Checked, Default and Unchecked value keys to no, if the setting in IE (through Internet Settings in IE) is set to do not play, it does. May well be my PC but it threw me off. I've tried on a Win2003 Server box running Citrix MXPe but this doesn't work for ICA clients. However, I'm aware this is no longer a desktop problem so I'll leave you both alone.

Thanks a lot for the help

Paul

!