Disabling animations in Internet Explorer 6.0

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Is there a way of disabling the "play animations in web pages" option in IE6 apart from going to Internet Options>Advanced>Multimedia. We need to apply this accross the network and as of now, haven't managed to find a registry change or GPO that will do the trick. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about disabling animations internet explorer
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Paul_H wrote:
    > Is there a way of disabling the "play animations in web pages" option
    > in IE6 apart from going to Internet Options>Advanced>Multimedia. We
    > need to apply this accross the network and as of now, haven't managed
    > to find a registry change or GPO that will do the trick. Any help on
    > this would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    Paul

    The registry location is:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
    Explorer\AdvancedOptions\MULTIMEDIA\ANIMAT

    In this key there are 2 values (Checked Value and Default Value) that
    control this option. Set both values to "no".

    --
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    http://www.dts-l.org
    http://www.mvps.org
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Thanks Ronnie,

    I've just tried that one and it doesn't seem to work. The end goal is to apply this to a farm of Citrix servers (running 2003 Server) but I'm aiming to get this applied to XP Pro first. I've tried the reg change on both server and XP Pro OS's (with reboots) and no luck. Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Paul

    "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

    > Paul_H wrote:
    > > Is there a way of disabling the "play animations in web pages" option
    > > in IE6 apart from going to Internet Options>Advanced>Multimedia. We
    > > need to apply this accross the network and as of now, haven't managed
    > > to find a registry change or GPO that will do the trick. Any help on
    > > this would be much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > Paul
    >
    > The registry location is:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
    > Explorer\AdvancedOptions\MULTIMEDIA\ANIMAT
    >
    > In this key there are 2 values (Checked Value and Default Value) that
    > control this option. Set both values to "no".
    >
    > --
    > Ronnie Vernon
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Paul_H wrote:
    > Thanks Ronnie,
    >
    > I've just tried that one and it doesn't seem to work. The end goal is
    > to apply this to a farm of Citrix servers (running 2003 Server) but
    > I'm aiming to get this applied to XP Pro first. I've tried the reg
    > change on both server and XP Pro OS's (with reboots) and no luck. Any
    > ideas?
    >

    Paul

    Works OK here? Once you do change this setting, you can prevent tampering
    with the Group Policy Editor.

    "Disable the Advanced page" policy (located in \User
    Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet
    Explorer\Internet Control Panel) removes the Advanced tab from the
    interface.

    --
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Shell/User
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Hi Paul,

    That works fine for me. Meanwhile, try the another option:

    Undo the earlier procedure and try this:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
    Set "Play_Animations" to "No"

    --
    Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    AumHa VSOP: http://www.aumha.org

    "Paul_H" <PaulH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3933A918-851C-4629-8EEC-AEAA6CF0D930@microsoft.com...
    Thanks Ronnie,

    I've just tried that one and it doesn't seem to work. The end goal is to apply this to a farm of Citrix servers (running 2003 Server) but I'm aiming to get this applied to XP Pro first. I've tried the reg change on both server and XP Pro OS's (with reboots) and no luck. Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Paul

    "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

    > Paul_H wrote:
    > > Is there a way of disabling the "play animations in web pages" option
    > > in IE6 apart from going to Internet Options>Advanced>Multimedia. We
    > > need to apply this accross the network and as of now, haven't managed
    > > to find a registry change or GPO that will do the trick. Any help on
    > > this would be much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > Paul
    >
    > The registry location is:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
    > Explorer\AdvancedOptions\MULTIMEDIA\ANIMAT
    >
    > In this key there are 2 values (Checked Value and Default Value) that
    > control this option. Set both values to "no".
    >
    > --
    > Ronnie Vernon
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    > http://www.mvps.org
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Thanks guys,

    My mistake with this as it is actually working on WinXP pro the change seems to have the reversed the effects. By changing the Checked, Default and Unchecked value keys to no, if the setting in IE (through Internet Settings in IE) is set to do not play, it does. May well be my PC but it threw me off. I've tried on a Win2003 Server box running Citrix MXPe but this doesn't work for ICA clients. However, I'm aware this is no longer a desktop problem so I'll leave you both alone.

    Thanks a lot for the help

    Paul

    "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

    > Paul_H wrote:
    > > Thanks Ronnie,
    > >
    > > I've just tried that one and it doesn't seem to work. The end goal is
    > > to apply this to a farm of Citrix servers (running 2003 Server) but
    > > I'm aiming to get this applied to XP Pro first. I've tried the reg
    > > change on both server and XP Pro OS's (with reboots) and no luck. Any
    > > ideas?
    > >
    >
    > Paul
    >
    > Works OK here? Once you do change this setting, you can prevent tampering
    > with the Group Policy Editor.
    >
    > "Disable the Advanced page" policy (located in \User
    > Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet
    > Explorer\Internet Control Panel) removes the Advanced tab from the
    > interface.
    >
    > --
    > Ronnie Vernon
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    >
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Customization IE6 Windows XP