HP Pavilion no POST simple question

sugarcraft

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Hey all,

I'm trying to fix my boss' HP Pavilion m8000 media center PC.
The problem is that it won't POST at all. At this point I'm thinking
either I have a faulty mobo or CPU because I'm running out of
troubleshooting options. Here's what I've tried:

-Made sure PSU is working (tested each lead with multimeter)
-Tried a different working PSU in the system
-Reset CMOS memory
-Replaced power switch
-Verified all components are secure/all connections are proper

I don't believe that there are LED's on the mobo (Asus IPIBL LB a.k.a Benecia gl8e)
but there is a system speaker which hasn't made any noise.

Is it most likely that I have a faulty motherboard or processor?
any replies/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking of trying breadboarding but since my system speaker isn't
making a sound at all I doubt that it's something other than the cpu/mobo

Cheers

Solution
A fried card/memory can cause a short that keeps PC from booting. (a partially ajar pcie card can to this also, but you already reseated all your parts).

Suggest you pull everything except CPU from MB. (no memory, sata and power cables removed from disk, etc. Then try to power up. If the CPU fan doesn't move then try a new PSU (again). Then think MB. IF things power up then add the components back in one at a time. Re breadboarding, if you plan to replace the MB then you will be pulling the parts enough to do a breadboard with the MB, CPU and PSU.

Aside: If you do need a new MB, then either get an HP MB of exactly the same model or get a new/better MB and make sure your boss knows that the recovery partition and recovery media...

sugarcraft

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Thanks for replying, emerald.
The memory's not an issue, I know that because I've tried. As I've said, I doubt it's the video card because I'm not even getting a hard disk spin. I also think that if there was a component issue that doesn't involve the cpu/psu/mobo the system speaker would let me know.
There are no LED's on the mobo, but the power switch/reset switch are connected to some 9 pin lead but those lights don't light up.

A fried card/memory can cause a short that keeps PC from booting. (a partially ajar pcie card can to this also, but you already reseated all your parts).

Suggest you pull everything except CPU from MB. (no memory, sata and power cables removed from disk, etc. Then try to power up. If the CPU fan doesn't move then try a new PSU (again). Then think MB. IF things power up then add the components back in one at a time. Re breadboarding, if you plan to replace the MB then you will be pulling the parts enough to do a breadboard with the MB, CPU and PSU.

Aside: If you do need a new MB, then either get an HP MB of exactly the same model or get a new/better MB and make sure your boss knows that the recovery partition and recovery media will not work. A clone image from Acronis true image will work. IF you google "code purple" you may find a mechanism that will allow you to make the old recovery partition work. When you first boot up with teh new MB windows will need to connect via ethernet to get authorization to runon the new MB. This is automatically granted.

IF you haven't read this, do so. someone did a nice job. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

Solution

sugarcraft

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Thanks tsnor!

I will make sure to take out all components just to verify it is indeed the motherboard. Regarding your aside, I'd like to make sure I understood correctly:
You mean to say that assuming the motherboard is the issue, once I connect the new motherboard and things are running smoothly I should not rely on the recovery partition provided by HP. Due to this problem you suggest either using Acronis or the "code purple" method. Have I understood correctly? I'll be able to boot up into Windows normally I assume, it's just that my recovery partition will have problems. Please let me know if that is what you meant.

I have read the guide you linked, and it too led me to believe my motherboard is the problem.

Cheers

You are exactly correct. Windows will boot normally, detect the new motherboard and decide it needs to get reauthorized. If you let windows use the internet then it will automatically reauthorize. If you want you can call Microsoft instead, and they will give you a code to enter. Either way MS seems to want you to be able to keep running after a MB swap. I've done this both ways with no hassle at all.

The problem is the recovery partition, and you only discover this when you really need to do a recovery.

If you boot the HP recovery partition it will check the MB for a 'tattoo' and then fail. This is HP getting mad, not Microsoft. So if you make a copy of windows once the new MB is installed and windows is authorized to the MB (for example, by an acronis true image copy) then you can restore to that working copy rather than using the HP recovery partition.

If you get a MB of a similar HP (say from ebay) it will also fail (been there, done this). I think getting exactly the same HP MB preserves the recovery media, but it's worth asking HP before buying the MB to see if there is an extra step in the process.

'code purple' is the error message you get when you boot this way. This post is a pretty good description of code purple, but I think any discussion of it should move to an HP hosted forum. http://www.billoblog.com/?p=152

sugarcraft

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Well I appreciate your help. The OS install on the HDD is Vista. I've read that simply booting after a mobo switch usually doesn't work, and that I will most likely have to reinstall (or at least boot from cd and run a repair) vista. You say you've managed to boot successfully after a mobo switch? Have you had any conflicts/error messages afterwards?

Much thanks