Contrast Radio in LCD

jkeaton88

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
What is contrast ratio in LCD and how is it important for gaming? What is normally the preferred contrast ratio in an LCD for gaming? Most monitors that are out there are 1000:1.

I am having trouble finding an LCD that is 21.5-23" with above 1000:1 contrast ratio and less than 6ms response time. Does anyone know a monitor that fits the above description?

Also, I am still considering whether to get a 3d-supporting LCD. Will 3d-gaming go big during the next few years? Also, can excessive 3D-gaming hurt your eyes?

Timop

Distinguished
Ideally, the higher the contrast, the better the monitor is, as it is able to display richer blacks and brighter whites. However, almost none of the advertised contrast rate is the "true" contrast rate, as only a high-end TFT (likely with an IPS/VA panel) would achieve 1000:1 contrast.

On 3D, if it is the Nvidia solution then most modern games support 3D already, as well as most future titles most likely. On eye health, the sys are mostly disputed, though with active shutter glasses (eg. Nvidia 3D), you do have higher eyes strain than 2D.

The difference between most TN based panels aren't that big other than their featureset. For general gaming, any modern monitor with decent reviews would pretty much give you the same results.

Kari

Splendid
Most (if not all) of the 3d monitors are also 120Hz capable, which imo is even more important feature...

Advertised dynamic contrast ratios are total BS, they are achieved by brightening/dimming the backlight when showing bright or darker images, so the total luminosity will change and in most cases it will also slightly effect the colors. The end result is highly annoying and most ppl I know of have disabled the feature on their monitors.

Ati/AMD has their own 3d system going on as well
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-hd3d/Pages/hd3d.aspx

Kari

Splendid

well, maybe it's just me but I really don't like glossy screens, depending on the ambient lighting it can be like looking into a mirror :pt1cable: