bigfoot1

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
this is my first gaming build, i would like to know if these specs would perform well,and any suggested changes pr upgrades to them are welcomed.

Processor ] AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

motherboard] ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

video card] MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk GeForce GTX 560 Ti

hard drive] SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb

ram] G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3

case] COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1

psu] CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V

or just wait for the buldozerto come out

It should perform well as would expect from a a system that costs a bit.

1] Did you really need that much capacity from a PSU. The TX 650w V2 would be cheaper and not end up unused capacity. Unless you are going to overclock to the point you burn a hole in the motherboard.

2] Unless you are going to stick with that CPU for a long period ~1year or so then it will cost you a fair bit to do a double CPU upgrade, considering a CPU should really never be upgraded short term. If you are waiting for the bulldozer then either a) wait and upgrade once only or b) get a cheap Phenom 2 X2 or something to hold out short term.

3] The bulldozer from rumbles and rumours will cost between $250-400, again these are just speculative but it will cost more than a sandy bridge, and the fact that AMD are so secretive and put off its release suggests that it is probably not better, at very best equal. Unless you have a use for the 8 cores all the bulldozer will offer you is show piece value and make a expensive room heater.

If I were you, I would wait, that said I wouldn't blow money on a Bulldozer just because, I am sure a 965 is sufficient enough to play games on high settings and is relatively cheap. Just don't make a mistake of rushing an upgrade, only to regret it later, trust me it isn't worth it.

bigfoot1

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
okay tank you i was curious about the psu but it was recommend, and i ment wait to build it all when the buldozer comes out but if you dont think it will help much i will go ahead. will this play games on ultra settings

A tx series is good both the 650 and 750 are 80% standard ratings so that is up. Essentially you must by a PSU that will suit your capacity, if you are going to oc to the limit and run SLI/X-fire then a bigger PSU is better, but if you are going to run a single GPU and OC rig, then 750 is just pure expense that amounts to unused capacity. In the future GPU's will be more effiecient and drop in the amount of drain rather than the stupid levels of resource consumation it is at now.

If it were I, first off I would probably go with Intel due to the security in thought that everyone knows the sandy bridge is good, but there is no data to show how good the bulldozer is. Second, a sandybridge is better than an X4 and X6 so AMD don't have a mainstream line of processors that make any sense spending on. The Bulldozer and Piledriver are high end CPU's of the Intel Xtreme line ilk. I would wait personally to see what the bulldozer does, if it wows then buy it, but if not, really consider an intel build.

With AMD right now, it is not a good time to upgrade unless you know exactly what the Bulldozer can do, and whether you can afford it. I would technically equate buying a Phenom X 4 to buying a Core2 Duo/Quad which makes no sense at all.

For Intel, if you want a K series processor then the P67 is a good chipset to use. You may consider the Z68 if you want the improved encoding potential as well as the extra Intel Smart Response Technology and SSD caching technology. Right now the ASUS P8P67 Pro is the best benchmark to use to determine how far over or under you are willing to go.

If you are not going to use a K-series cpu then you can save on a H67 board though that is not advisable as you don't really have a upgrade path after that unless you wan't to change the CPU and Mobo.