ralf23456

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Hello,

I installed the cpu, everything seemed to work.

But, I have a dual boot system.

One is Windows 7 the other xp 64-bit

my problem is that in Windows 7 even tho I use the mb driver cd Windows 7 won't install the NIC, I even tried d/l the newer driver from another pc and still it won't work.

Windows xp 64-bit tho gets as far as the line going back and forth loading screen and then it reboots. (I put the same hd in another pc and it boots right away...Does FX cpu's work on xp or is the ram too fast for xp?)

I have 12 gbs of ddr 1866 ram and a HD 4850 1gb video card.

I spend alot of money on this system over $600

But because the NIC won't work and Xp won't boot I am ready to scrap it...In fact I already put it on Ebay in case I can't get it to work.

ralf23456

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
as I said I used the mb driver disk for the mb which had drivers for windows 7 and I also d/l the newer drivers from the web site but the nic would still not work, as for xp well it would not go past the loading windows screen so I could not use any drivers.

the mb is a Asus m5a97 evo

ralf23456

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
ah, that would be a no....I have been installing pc for over 20 years and unless there was a hd fail I have never reinstalled a OS because of changing the mb, all you have to do is go into safe mode and then change the drivers. The Windows 7 was a new install anyway, the xp was already installed on a a different hd from windows 7 so in the case of xp not working that's not the problem.

So because its never happened to you makes it so??? It does work sometimes when using the same chipsets yes, but you have obviously not come across this yet in your 20 years....... If you have 20 years experience and know everything and don't want to accept that you need to reinstall windows, why ask us? you know better than we do.......

ralf23456

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
as I said the windows 7 was a new install any way so it does not make a difference, as to the xp, the hd works fine still when replaced into the old case/mb. Best I can tell is that Windows 7 tho boots has something wrong with its way it detects the nic on the FX mb, as it refuses to install the Nic with any driver.

My main concern is getting Windows 7 working correctly, as if it never works with the onboard nic then Windows 7 will be a waste of time. I'd rather keeping using Xp for the next 10 years or more if Windows 7 won't work correctly.