[cpu] q8600 --> i5-2500k - worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumfromjersey

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Hi everyone,

I currently have a home built system using a q8600 processor. I don't have any complaints but the motherboard likely needs to be replaced (bsod issues even after firmware upg rade/memtest/scandisk/etc). My question to you fine folks is should I just replace the lga775 board for another one or should I upgrade to the i2500k? I'm sure most know an upgrade would mean a new CPU, motherboard, and memory.

I use my computer mostly to do everyday tasks (office, surfing, watching tv, streaming from netflix, etc) but I do video editing occasionally (like 3-4 times a month)and play Madden 07. Like I said, I am okay with my build (minus the bsod on the startup and inability to record them to a minidump file) but wondering if i should upgrade my CPU or just swap out m board?

I am tech enthusiast but I do have limited funds so I would prefer to only do it if it makes financial sense.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated :)

Solution
Limited funds and your usage scenario do not suggest that you need a platform upgrade. Replacing the board is an easier and economical task.

If I need to talk purely on the upgrade front then Q8600 to an i5 2500k is IMO a massive upgrade.
Limited funds and your usage scenario do not suggest that you need a platform upgrade. Replacing the board is an easier and economical task.

If I need to talk purely on the upgrade front then Q8600 to an i5 2500k is IMO a massive upgrade.

Solution

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
What sort of budget are you talking? In my mind it would make more financial sense to upgrade to an i5-2500K as you'd get the refreshed system and increased performance for money you have to spend anyway. For example, £50 on a new S775 motherboard is less than approx £200 on a CPU-mobo-RAM upgrade, but the latter will last you a lot longer therefore your money goes further.

bumfromjersey

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Thank you for the responses guys! I don't want to spend more than $300 (about 193 pounds). My main hesitance is maybe I should wait six months and upgrade to Ivy Bridge. Like I said, I am an enthusiast and it would be kinda frustrating to upgrade on the tick (sandy bridge) when the tock (ivy bridge) is going to come out in a few months --- OR do you think the performance difference between sandy bridge and ivy bridge wouldn't be appreciable?

What do you guys think?

Also, when diellur and Empurus say it would be a massive upgrade...like do you think it would be a significant performance upgrade and would it be a very good (or at least decent computer for 2-3 years)?

determinology

Distinguished
May 3, 2011

Depends if you can hold out and wait i would wait for the ivy bridge imo but also the i5 2500k isnt bad either but as for me i would wait

bumfromjersey

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was actually able to buy a board, memory, and cpu for 300 (maybe a little less). Black Friday sales worked out nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.