CPU bottlenecking GPU?

FCHatred

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
I'm running an AMD Athlon II x2 235e 2.7 ghz processor and a XFX Radeon 5770 1gb GDDR5 graphics card. How much of a bottleneck is my CPU causing? I notice on games such as Crysis 2 my FPS stays the same when using different resolutions but extreme graphics settings. So, is it enough of a bottleneck to get a new processor and if it is what processor should I get?

hooru

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Im not sure how much of a bottleneck, if any, your cpu would cause with a 5770. I personally have a 965BE paired with a XFX-5770.

What are your PC specs? Also, what kinda FPS are you seeing in Crysis2?

FCHatred

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
My specs are:

mobo: not sure about, it was in an e-machine computer.
RAM: 6GB DDR2 (400Mhz)
CPU: AMD Athlon II x2 235e 2.70 ghz
GPU: XFX Radeon 5770 1GB GDDR5
HDD: Western Digital 750gb, Western Digital 500gb
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W

My FPS in Crysis 2 at 1080p, extreme settings is around 24 FPS with jumps up to 35 and dips down to 16. Yet it's like that for most resolutions.

yes you are no doubt bottle necked a bit with that cpu, I have a backup rig running an Athlon II 240 Regor 2.8 GHz stock and a 5770 and I have it oc'ed to 3.5ghz and it gives a big performance boost to the 5770, id say pick up a cheap aftermarket cooler and try to oc you CPU to at least 3.2 or more..

also you ram speed may hold you back if you are not running it at least 667mhz and even that is slow as hell you should try to get you ram to run as ddr 2 800 and overclock that CPU and you should be good to go, otherwise I'd say you will be held back to a certain extent. Although with 6 gigs you should be fine it is just odd that it is running at such a low speed to me.

Hooru: your 965 is worlds better than the chip the OP has so naturally your 5770 should run to its full capability. Furthermore crysis 2 is a bad game to gauge performance with imo bc it is dx9 crap, sorry to shoot that game down but a much better bench would be BFBC2 because of its dx11 utilization and graphical prowess alone.

Just Cause 2 is a good one to really stress the gpu while only utilizing 2 cores.

OP: that is my 2 cents, good luck and have fun.
Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions regarding this rig.

For Crysis at 1080p 24 fps on highest settings without AA or AF is about right for a 5770. Read some reviews for yourself. Even so, the dips are probably due to your CPU. Applying the patches will help smooth out the performance. Overclocking your CPU would likely mean a new motherboard and it may not be worth it for you to get a new Motherboard and CPU cooler for that system. Sorry but with a low end system you're just not going to play Crysis on the highest settings at 1080p.

To get a better framerate you're going to have to put your setting at high instead and you may even want to put shaders and shadows on medium.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

If he has a stock e-machines mobo he prob cant OC at all.