Sign in with
Your question

Router Problems!

Last response: in Networking
October 14, 2010 2:06:43 PM

I just built my first gaming PC and logged onto windows 7 for the first time and it would not connect to the internet because it says it cannot identify the network. I have a modem hooked into a wireless modem and from the wireless modem the Ethernet cable runs to my computer. So i unhooked from the wireless router and plugged straight from the Westell modem to my computer and it worked fine? So I would do that, but i have a laptop that needs to be on the internet at the same time. Could it be an Operating System capability issue because we have not had windows 7 before and when the Ethernet cable is plugged into anything but my new computer it works. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Cody

More about : router problems

a c 353 $ Windows 7
October 14, 2010 6:39:48 PM

Did you setup Windows to use higher security for the network? You can set it so it does not get on the internet on a public connection, and may think your router is a public connection. What's the exact error message?

Do you have MAC filtering on the router? If you do you'd have a similar issue but not sure what the error message would be.
m
l
October 14, 2010 10:39:07 PM

The exact error message is that it cannot obtain a valid IP adress

And it recognizes that the ethernet cable is plugged in but will not fully connect
m
l
a c 353 $ Windows 7
October 15, 2010 2:33:23 PM

Seems like DHCP on the router is not giving an address to your system, or possibly the network card is faulty. Ping 127.0.0.1 and see if it replies normally. That will tell you your TCIP stack is working at least. The OS will have no bearing on the router not giving the PC an IP, you may need to connect to the router and make sure you have security and DHPC setup properly. You can always try to give the Win 7 machine a static IP, just give it something 10 IPs over whatever your highest one has.
m
l
!