Just ordered parts for my first build, details inside...(NEW PICS!!!)

pencilman222000

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Well, I've used this site many many times in the past few weeks for reference as I've been planning my first build to replace my old dying HP, now that I'm 15 i assumed I should build one myself suited to my own needs.

Here are the planned specs:
Reusing my mothers dead HP Pavillion Mini Tower case (bought and installed a new button/led kit for the front bezel)
ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 Micro ATX Motherboard
AMD Phenom II 1090T Processor (this is a hexacore if you don't know) with stock cooler until i decide to get an H50 for noise
2, 2GB Dimms of Team Elite ddr3 Ram
600W power supply given to me by a friend
160gb IDE drive for booting and some software
320 and 120 gb SATA hard drives in RAID for onboard storage (ill use my 2tb external for most)
used 16x dvd burner for onboard optical support
External Blu-Ray burner i purchased new when they were just coming on the market (cost me $300 at the time)
And ill be using my 24 inch 1080p HDTV as my monitor, with onboard graphics until i can afford a semi decent graphics card.

i think its pretty good, it was under $400 spent since i had alot of the stuff already, using an old drive for booting simply because i had it, its not too slow or anything, and im not looking for a superpower/gaming rig anyway. I'm mostly here just to look for suggestions on the Graphics card i should use for this in the future, i only want moderate gaming power (mmos smoothly on high settings, fps just need to be playable.) I'll also try and post pictures of the build in process or just the completed build when the parts come in the mail.

EDIT: so first thing i have to say is, i made a mistake, its not an hp pavillion, its a compaq Presario case, no big deal, but different cases.

the build was quite easy though excruciatingly stressful at parts, i had tested the rig out of the case then was unable to disconnect the ATX power cable from the motherboard for a very long time, it frightened me, i didnt know if i would break off the port or scratch a connection on the mobo or what, it turned out ok in the end.

so on to the pics:
here is the skeleton of the rig, you can see the fan with leds i mounted in the front, it JUST fit and i had to break one clip off the side panel to make it clost with the fan there, the fan lights up so beautifully too bad the case bezel will cover it up most of the time.
IMG_1127.jpg

Here is just an image to show you the case, it looks nice, i always liked these cases, sure it says compaq but whatever, i used lighter fluid to remove the old stickers from compaq and pu on the ones i got with the cpu and MOBO at the bottom, may not be able to see it in the pic....
IMG_1131.jpg

an image of the frankenstein like inside, surprisingly these pictures make the cable management look exceedingly bad, when in reality it is bad but not as bad as youd think, air seems to move through the case quite nicely, and yes that is a diablotek power supply, thats what i recieved and i wasnt happy but it works! and so far everything the box promises its given me, i just hope it doesnt explode before i can upgrade to a modular one.
IMG_1130.jpg

and lastly here is a screenshot of it playing a 1440p youtube video and portal 2 on high graphics settings, this is all using the integrated hd 4250 graphics on the motherboard, so they work exceedingly well since i get about 40 fps in portal 2 on high, of course its not a very demanding game. oh it should also be noted that the cpu has been slightly overclocked to 3.4 ghz.(fixed)
PORTALPOWER.png

so theres the images of my first buid ever, so far, i know when it comes to desktops ill never buy stock, or even custom built by others again, this was probably the most fun thing ive ever done, from the purchasing to the cable "management" (3 cable ties and an empty 5.25 inch bay) i had so much fun and they feeling i got when i saw that splash screen and it passed POST was unforgettable. and really if it wasnt for this site i would have never been able to do this so thanks community.

pencilman222000

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

I chose hexacore for mostly because i do a lot of video editing for school, and all those cores will be nice for encoding, also for other encoding jobs that are nice to have, and lastly for the fact that i was able to get it cheap, it was down to $159 at some places so i just grabbed it, it will most likely go lower in a month or so but still, i got it now.

i didnt choose an AM3+ motherboard because AM3 works fine with phenom 2s and i have no need to upgrade to a bulldozer, nonetheless prepare to upgrade to a processor family that i have no idea how it will perform when its finally released (not to mention how much more expensive they will be brand new.) Yhe last reason was that there were no micro ATX AM3+ motherboards in my price range.

3xch4ng3

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

First and foremost, reusing a HP Pavilion tower is never a good idea, Airflow on these plastic powers are terrabad. But, I understand you’re on a budget just keep in mind to watch temps on your setup when adding a video card.

As for your setup, the 160GB IDE drive for booting is going to be a performance bottleneck; you shouldn't even bother with using this drive at all. I would repurpose the 120GB SATA drive as your boot drive.

Also, you mentioned 320GB & 120GB in RAID but not what level of RAID. Either way, it’s never a good idea to use different drives in any RAID configuration as they have different read/write access times, cache sizes and seek times which will cause the RAID to fail frequently. Like I mentioned before, use the 120GB as your O/S and the 320GB as Storage.

As for a video card, the Nvidia GTX 460's @ $150 price point is always a good option. I personally would save up and get a ATI Radeon 6950 that should last you for a while even when moving on to the next build.

pencilman222000

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
ill be watching to make sure, for the small tower i did add 2 fans one in front and one at the back to make sure its a bit better, thats also why i want to get an H50 eventually, they are supposedly good for smaller cases.

i guess i wont use the IDE if thats that bad it seems to be fast enough though i dont really know the speed, i really have never had trouble with slow hard drives in the past, using computers built by others with IDE drives.

and the 2 SATA drives are the exact same type just different capacaties, though not using the IDE one it really just doesnt matter.

jadedmonkey

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

if you plan to encode/transcode/decode regularly, while a hex core is great, I think you have to gimp the rest of your system to get those extra 2 cores. I'd probably go for a Sandy bridge Intel CPU and a Z68 mobo to take advantage of quick sync for transcoding. Quick sync transcoding compares and often beats AMD and CUDA transcode apps. Check it here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/video-transcoding-amd-app-nvidia-cuda-intel-quicksync,2839-8.html

with a i5-2500k i know you lose 2 physical cores, but its a much more powerful CPU and the gains from the architecture of the rest of the system build around the Sandy bridge CPU would be worth it in my book.

3xch4ng3

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

For the love of heat, Please get a rear chassis fan and tie back those power cables, you need to have a nice air flow through the chassis. You have an intake fan in the images above but because your power cables aren't managed the heat is just going to stay stagnant in the center of the chassis.

Airflow Example:

airflow-2.jpg

You can bundle the power cables at the top of the chassis behind your optical drive to help this but you really need to get a rear chassis fan.

pencilman222000

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
For the love of heat, Please get a rear chassis fan and tie back those power cables, you need to have a nice air flow through the chassis. You have an intake fan in the images above but because your power cables aren't managed the heat is just going to stay stagnant in the center of the chassis.

well see, if youve looked at the original post, i was obviously working mostly from reused parts, and that intake fan was something i was given, i had definitely planned to get an exhaust fan but i just didnt do it right away

and for tying the cables back, how do you suppose i do that? this is obviously something i cant just figure out, all the cables that CAN be are hidden back underneath the 3.5 inch bays and all the unused length and cables i could get to are hidden within the 2nd 5.25 bay, those cables that you see by the heatsinkfan aren't easily movable, nor to i have anything to tie them down to in the case. (at least not that i can see....)

EDIT: I'm sorry this sounded a little more rude than it did in my head, im sincerely asking for suggestions on cable management, not trying to sound bad.

oh and also
You can bundle the power cables at the top of the chassis behind your optical drive to help this but you really need to get a rear chassis fan.

theres about 2 inches of space, maybe less between the optical drive and the psu, its a very small case.

3xch4ng3

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
WP_000045.jpg

WP_000044.jpg

WP_000043.jpg

If you'll notice in the 3 images above, I took the excess cable and routed it up and towards the back of the chassis. Don't be afraid to pull on the cables and bundle them together using some zip ties, as long as you aren't putting too much pressure on the connectors themselves you're fine.

Start gathering the cables at the base of the power supply and bundle them into one, wrap a zip tie around that with a nice flow towards the optical drive. This should be a good starting point to get all the cables easily managed.