[Motherboards] No POST, two separate MBs

bonjour

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
First of all, I wanted to thank the community for developing this guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems, which was extremely helpful. Unfortunately, it did not solve my issues. (I apologise if this is in the wrong place.)

I have tried to post on two separate motherboards (ga-z77x-ud5h & x77 sabertooth), and both had problems. (Luckily, a friend graciously let me borrow the asus, so not out of money there).

The gigabyte would power on for a few seconds (fans, etc.) and then power off, with the cycle continuing nonstop. The led suggested a memory issue (flashed #53), so I went through that guide making sure everything was connected, put only one RAM in the slot, reset CMOS, etc. and no dice. The asus ran continuously (no cyclical resets), but also indicates a RAM issue (as the ddram led light remains a constant red). I also followed that guide and tried one stick in each slot, but it did not resolve the issue either.

I have tried multiple sticks of RAM (ddr3) by different companies, so I know that cannot necessarily be the case. Furthermore, I anti-static wristbanded myself each install, so that should not be an issue either.

I'm waiting for an internal speaker to come my way, so unfortunately I cannot tell if and when the motherboards beep. I know it is most likely between the PSU and the CPU, but I cannot fathom either being DOA. The PSU is a Corsair x650 and the CPU is a 3570. Until the speaker gets here, does anyone else have any ideas? (And in any case, thank you for reading this essay!)

cheers.

InvalidError

Titan
If you get RAM errors using different DIMMs and different motherboards but the same CPU, this makes the CPU the most likely common factor since it is highly unlikely that a defective PSU would cause the exact same symptoms (fail RAM test) on three different motherboards and different DIMMs.

I agree. This sounds like what would happen with and incompatible CPU, actually, but that obviously isn't the case here. It looks like this is a case of a very rare DOA CPU.

bonjour

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

I thought perhaps the gigabyte board was shipped with an old bios that did not support ivy, which is why I tried the asus (upgraded to the latest bios with flashback, my friend did not have an ivy CPU and just gave me the MB since he's "upgrading" - no idea what he's thinking, lol). But since both had the same issue, I'm beginning to think it is in-fact the CPU.