Sign in with
Your question

Recently built machine keeps crashing

Last response: in Systems
August 24, 2011 9:06:58 AM

So this is what I built (about two-three months ago). I am finding now that if run a few videos (on you tube for example) simultaneously then the PC seems to cut out. I'm guessing something is overheating ? I think it may just be the graphics card overheating as it only really happens when I'm watching several video clips. I was gaming with Crysis last night and the card was heating up (65deg) but the machine didn't shut down (even though the CPU was up to 40deg also)

specs

LG W2243T 21.5" Full HD 1920*1080 LCD Monitor
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 ATX DDR3 AM3+
Lg Gh22ns50 22x Sata Internal Oem Black Color Sata Dvd Writer
Antec Three Hundred
AMD Phenom II X4 Processor Black Edition 955 3.2GHz
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200rpm HDD
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Prem 64bit OEM
Antec 620W ATX NEO ECO PSU (No Power Cable)
Sapphire HD6850 1G GDDR5
Kingston Valueram 4gb 1333mhz Ddr3 Non-ecc Cl9 Dimm (kit Of 2)

Any ideas or suggestions as to what I can do to identify the source of the problem and/or rectify this.

thanks

was watchin a youtube clip of messi last night and it shut down again, and tonight was running occt and again it crashed. have run memtest86 and no problems reported.

any help as this is getting really frustrating, thanks in advance
August 24, 2011 9:23:15 AM

werner123 said:
Install older/newer drivers

What do you mean "it only really happens when I'm watching several video clips"

Try a different browser, because if your games run fine it must be browser related, my 2 cents.

Sorry should've said I was showing someone a video i had shot on a trip overseas and it crashed during this also. I was watching this via the WMP that comes with win7.

Have updated drives to no effect.
August 24, 2011 10:02:49 AM

Anyone think it could be a problem with the HSU/CPU interface ? Not enough/too much thermal paste for example ?

Have reseated RAM tonight and not seemed to have made much of a difference. Crashes seem really random mind you, not everytime. Been watching some youtube (again of Messi - hes a legend and you should check it out if you haven't seen him before) and no issues.

Is there any software I can install to review whats happening ? Seen this on another forum but it si only for BSOD which I dont get. WOndering if there was another simialr that I may ve able to use ?
Related resources
August 25, 2011 8:25:30 AM

werner123 said:
Disable amd cool and quiet in your bios

Had a look around BOIS and couldn't find cool & quiet. Likely to be called anything else ?

Also currently running Prime 95 for about 10 min now. Temps as follows at present

Mobo - 0 - 26 deg c
1 - 50
2 - 64

CPU - all 4 cores at 52

HD - 26

GPU - 49

These seem ok ?
August 25, 2011 9:12:27 AM

It passed the prime95 tests
August 25, 2011 9:33:25 AM

werner123 said:
Yes it's fine, what cooler are you using? i also have the 955 and 6850 using the stock cooler with my 955

using stock cooler also. WIll have a look for the manual to see if can find how to disable all energy saving features. I'll have a sniff around for BIOS updates also but seem to recall that I did this a couple of weeks ago.

chrs
August 26, 2011 6:24:34 AM

Proximon said:
Run memtest overnight
http://www.memtest.org/

Ran memtest86+ for 10.5 hours, 11 passess, zero errors.

I guess this means my RAM is ok ?
August 26, 2011 7:40:11 AM

werner123 said:
^ yes your ram is fine, does the PC crash if you play games?

no not to date - have played a fair bit of crysis and GTA4 - both at high-ish settings also.
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
August 26, 2011 9:34:07 AM

2D and 3D applications will stress a GPU in different ways, so it is possible that it's hardware related still.

I would expect a software issue to be a bit more predictable. Sounds like you are in danger of crashing any time you play a video, and that doesn't seem acceptable.

You should kill any Gigabyte tweaking utilities you have running.

Could this be a sound issue? Do you have the latest sound drivers?

August 26, 2011 10:26:39 AM

werner123 said:
^ Then why worry about it? like i said it's probably just a software configuration issue. If you don't mind to do it just reinstall windows. If it crashes when watching youtube videos and so on don't you think it's an issue with your browser or installed codecs? Try another browser and watch those clips again. There is nothing wrong with your hardware!

I dont think it is software, well the browser anyway, as it also crashes when I am watching video I have taken and downloaded onto my machine and then watch with WMP.
August 26, 2011 10:31:58 AM

Proximon said:
You should kill any Gigabyte tweaking utilities you have running.

Not aware that I have any running, unless they are auto starting and running without my knowing

Proximon said:
Could this be a sound issue? Do you have the latest sound drivers?

JUst checked them both - realtek HD and ATI HDMI and device manager update is telling me they both are up to date
August 26, 2011 8:00:44 PM

werner123 said:
disable the ati hdmi hd audio like i said.

Yes, and if that doesn't work disable the other. Rule them both out.
August 27, 2011 8:39:06 PM

werner123 said:
Try installing the latest codecs like k-lite codec pack

Or just use vlc media player.

i'll do that, someone else suggested that to me yesterday but that doesn't override videos you watch embedded into web pages does it ?
August 27, 2011 8:56:44 PM

Videos embedded in web pages are usually played by Adobe Flash or equivalent. VLC has nothing to do with those.
August 27, 2011 9:23:54 PM

Ok so I've disabled the ati hdmi audio thingy, installed the klite codec pack (64 for windows 7) and installed VLC.

FIngers crossed now and see what happens over the next dew days I guess. Suppose I'll also have to sit here and watch lotsa footie on youtube now... :D 
August 29, 2011 11:00:56 AM

*#%$ing thing has crashed again watching a you tibe video. Funny as I had been watching a long one earlier (20min) and no prob then it just goes.

This is the event log from when it happened but not sure if this is the crash or me powering down the machine using the on button - having a closer look i think this is from after the machine being rebooted as there is a gap between 10.41 and this at 10.43.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 25/08/2011 9:03:36 p.m.
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-08-25T09:03:36.186018600Z" />
<EventRecordID>36569</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Time to disable the other sound driver I'm guessing ?
August 29, 2011 11:23:13 AM

Also now I have disabled realtek I no longer have any sound even though I have enabled ATI driver.
September 4, 2011 8:06:50 AM

SO i updated to catalyst and all seemed to be going well. Even watched a whole game the other mornign that lasted 100 mins or so with no issues. Tonight was watching a youtube clip (HD I think) and bosh over she goes again. Interesting thing is this time the sound kept going, well sort of it was stuck therefore stuttering but not dead like before. Also the caps/num lock buttons still work suggesting this is all to do with the grpahics ?

After the crash waited ten mins and restarted then reviewed event log. Nothing sinister around the time of the crash.
September 4, 2011 8:12:37 AM

Could it be voltage regulation on the PSU ? (idea from another forum) if so how do i check this and compare what is to what should be ? cheers
!