I have recently put together a computer with the following hardware components:

MB: Asus P8M67-M
CPU: Intel i7-3770
RAM: 2x 4GB Kingston HyperX
HDD: 1 TB Sata 6.0 Hitatchi HDD
PSU: Corsair Gaming 800 Watt
Case: Coolermaster HAF 912 +
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 TI

However, when I try to start up the computer, the motherboard gives me a beep error consisting of 4 subsequent short beeps. The screen remains black and nothing happens. I am 100% sure I've installed all components correctly.

ASUS's own support website doesn't list the 4-beep error code and scrounging the web yields only dubious results on the problem being memory or GPU related. However, through starting up the computer different components installed, I've managed to narrow the problem down to either the CPU or the Motherboard.

Only, I don't have a way of testing whether either one is at fault, since the computer refuses to start without the CPU installed. Can anyone tell me what the 4-beep error code means, or whether I have made some obvious mistake? Or is either the CPU or the MOBO dead on arrival?
September 9, 2012 7:15:31 PM

nawyira -

Did you ever find out what was going on? My husband is putting his computer together right now and is having the same problem and we haven't been able to find out any reliable info on the 4 short beeps and all fixes he has tried have failed.

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

nawyria said:
Hello,

I have recently put together a computer with the following hardware components:

MB: Asus P8M67-M
CPU: Intel i7-3770
RAM: 2x 4GB Kingston HyperX
HDD: 1 TB Sata 6.0 Hitatchi HDD
PSU: Corsair Gaming 800 Watt
Case: Coolermaster HAF 912 +
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 TI

However, when I try to start up the computer, the motherboard gives me a beep error consisting of 4 subsequent short beeps. The screen remains black and nothing happens. I am 100% sure I've installed all components correctly.

ASUS's own support website doesn't list the 4-beep error code and scrounging the web yields only dubious results on the problem being memory or GPU related. However, through starting up the computer different components installed, I've managed to narrow the problem down to either the CPU or the Motherboard.

Only, I don't have a way of testing whether either one is at fault, since the computer refuses to start without the CPU installed. Can anyone tell me what the 4-beep error code means, or whether I have made some obvious mistake? Or is either the CPU or the MOBO dead on arrival?

September 9, 2012 7:58:52 PM

Hello AZMom,

The problem turned out to be that the Motherboard had a rather old version of the BIOS installed (0307), which meant that it was not compatible with the Intel i7-3770 yet.

I managed to circumvent the problem by borrowing a friend's Intel i3-2600 (although any of the CPUs that ASUS lists on its website should do) and putting that in the slot. That allowed me to boot up my computer, update to one of the newer BIOS versions (I think I used the 3400-something one as the 3600-something wouldn't work) and then put my i7 back in the slot.

Beware though, flashing the BIOS incorrectly may irreversibly damage your motherboard. I used the ASUS AI Suite provided on the installation CD to do it, using the BIOS file downloaded manually from the website. You may have some problems getting the ASUS AI Suite to install (I did), there should be a fixer / patcher on the ASUS support website that you have to run prior to installing the Suite.

I hope this can help you along.
January 16, 2013 12:49:26 PM

great info, I have the same trouble too :lol: 

thx a lot
!