Keeping my motherboard for another year new CPU or not (gaming PC)

I am planning to upgrade my graphics card early next year after the Radeon 7000 series are released, I will either get a 78XX series card or maybe 2 x 68XX if there price drops or maybe even a 2Gb 6950. This will make my CPU by far the weakest component but I don't want to go the new mother board route until late 2012 -early 2013. I have an unlocked to 4 cores 550BE (C2 stepping) @ 3.7GHz (the most I can get from it). Would there be enough reason to get a 955BE to try for 4.2GHz or a 960T for 4.2GHz + maybe unlock to 6 cores or is the performance increase to small to make it worth it. So my basic question is, will 500MHz make much difference in gaming?
Full Spec:
AMD 550BE unlocked & @ 3.7GHz
Motherboard Asrock 880G Extreme 3
RAM 4Gb (2x2) 1333MHz will be upgrading to 2x4Gb 1600MHz as its so cheap at the moment
GPU Radeon 4870 (used to have 2 in crossfire but 1 died)
HDD 2 x 500Gb in Raid 0 can't remember the make
PSU corsair TX750 (I also have an 850W unit from a return if I need it)

BTW I have a spire thermax Eclipse II which is a bitch to reinstall so I don't want to mess with it unless its really worth it.
14 answers Last reply
More about keeping motherboard year gaming
  1. Its a nice performance increase, but as gaming is much more GPU intense I would say it is not worth it with gaming in mind.

To much for too little gain.
  2. Upgrade your GPU and memory.
  3. I don't think it's worth it. Save the cash for your new motherboard's companion.
  4. sosofm said:
    Upgrade your GPU and memory.

Excuse me??? Do you even know how good a card the HD4870 is? It might not be a Dx11 card but it is still pretty damn good.
  5. Save up for a full upgrade when you overhaul your system.
  6. Meh, it will only be a mild upgrade to get the extra 500MHz and thus not really worth the cost. Plus, your sample may only top out at 3.8 or 3.9GHz, you just never know.
  7. I say if you do any kind of video encoding that could benefit from 6 cores get a 1090T. Right now only a few games benefit from the extra cores, but that will change as time goes on. An overclocked 1090T should keep you going for a while. While you may get it to 4.2, 4.0 is more realistic so the only big gains will come in apps that use those 6 threads well.
  8. If your a serious gamer your graphics is definetly in need of upgrading, and the fact that your defending a 4870 should be proof of that alone.
  9. Thanks for the input guys I know my hardware is dated now but I have only 2 games so far that I think I could get more from with a better GPU (witcher 2 and skyrim) and none so far that would benefit hugely from a better CPU so I think I will stay as planned and get a new gpu or gpus early next year and new cpu later that year.
  10. blacksci said:
    If your a serious gamer your graphics is definetly in need of upgrading, and the fact that your defending a 4870 should be proof of that alone.

Your not making sense, I am not OP and do not own an HD4870???
  11. Novuake said:
    Your not making sense, I am not OP and do not own an HD4870???

a 4870 is roughly 6850/6770 performance and i agree with the op wait for the 7000 series, htey should be much much faster
  12. @we1shcake

There's a decent gap between the 6850 and the 6770. A 4870 is only just above a 6770 and thus is more between the 6790 and 6770. I'm just saying

Anyway yeah, we1shcake is right wait for the 7000 series at this point. Coming in January but probably won't really be available till late February or March.
  13. megamanx00 said:
    @we1shcake

There's a decent gap between the 6850 and the 6770. A 4870 is only just above a 6770 and thus is more between the 6790 and 6770. I'm just saying

Anyway yeah, we1shcake is right wait for the 7000 series at this point. Coming in January but probably won't really be available till late February or March.

+ 1
  14. megamanx00 said:
    @we1shcake

forgot about the 6790 :/
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards