PC will not boot when cold!

amiman

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
This problem started about a week ago and has been getting worse.
I won’t boot after being left off over night. It will boot after installing the backup (takes 5 min. from time to inserting disk to reboot). It’s booted once after waiting for it to warm up for a few minutes. Boots fine if turned off for a few hours but once it reaches room temp wont. I don’t think it’s a software problem as I’ve reinstalled windows after reformatting. I’ve switched the memory into the other slots and no diff there. I’ve checked all my plugs and components to be sure they are seated properly.
I built this computer in Nov 06 with no problems. I added the 2nd raptor a month ago. So the big change is using the RAID controller and a second hard drive
Today I tried waiting to warm up again but only got past the windows splash screen and power to the USB ports.
SO…Power supply? Motherboard? Cables? A piece of silicone? Hard drive?
WIN 7 running on:
Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard
Intel E6600 dual core CPU
EVGA 8800GTX DX10 Graphics card
2 Gigs of Corsair DDR-2 PC 6400, EPP certified.
2 WESTERN DIGITAL WD1500AHFD 150GB RAPTOR SATA in RAID 0
1Tb HITACHI hard drive
Sound Blaster gamer X-FI Titanium Fatality Pro.
650-watt power supply

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Sounds like power supply. You were descriptive with all of your components except for the power supply... am I safe to assume that it's a generic cheapy?

amiman

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
It's a Seasonic with 4 12V rails @18A each. It cost $80 back then. The MB was just released that week when i bought it.
You know.... thinking about the power supply...I could switch out the power cable on one of the hard drives to another rail lead-out. I do have an extra tucked away.
I'll try that tomorrow when it's cold and see if that will make it work.
Thanks

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
That power supply "should" be a reliable one. Never hurt to swap it out to test it anyway though. Another thing to try is (i know this sound wierd) to use a different wall outlet and test that too.

amiman

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Well.... as it is running off a Battery Backup and so squeaky clean and all...But saying that, I will consider power interference
Plus my output is:
Vcore @1.31v
3.3v @3.32v
5v @4.83v
12v @12.03
The numbers look good to me.
But I am running my 1TB and 2 10000 RPM Segates on the same lead-out. So tomorrow that will be the first thing to try. I'll get back as soon as I know.
Meanwhile I'll just keep backing up.

eagles453809

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
could be bad bios...maybe bad caps on psu or motherboard. strangely enough on my asus a8n32-sli deluxe, even when i had everythign set to manual settings in my bios, overclock setting etc... on occasion it would just shut down. then it would take multiple tries to boot...like 3-7 tries and all the settings would be back at the bios default.

amiman

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Iv'e got an asus a8n32 up in my closet. I loved that board
I have had bios resets for various reasons. I normally have the fsb clocked @ 1336 which gives me cpu@3GHz & memory @1000. I've turned off OC since problems started.
I havent tried re-loading the BIOS. I will try that next. thanks

amiman

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Good Morning. Well I rewired my hard drives to spread out the load between 2 racks instead of 1 and it booted right up promptly and now running in OC mode and all seems well with the world!Of course you know that it's all wishful thinking and only the next few days will tell. The hands waving in the air and rolling of eyes happened when I booted up and windows had, for some only god and some propeller head somewhere at Microsoft knows, reset itself back to the original fresh install state as if I were running it for the first time!! A quick reinstall of my BU solved everything.

Also...the DVD writer is working better. When SMART was turned on it would give an error report. Not NOW

Thanx

Keeping fingers crossed

Update 4-21-09
Everything still OK