sassal

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Hey all first time posting on the forum :)

I'd like some advice on a new build that I am planning to purchase in the next couple of days, details are as follows:

Intel CPU Core i7-2600K
Asus MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z
Kingston DDR3 8GB (2x4GB) 12800/1600 CL9 PnP HyperX Ram
Antec Continuous Power 850W
Cooler Master HAF X 942
2 x Asus ATI RADEON 6950
Kingston 64GB SSDNow V100 Series, SATA II, TRIM, 2.5" (purely for the win7)
And im using my other hard drives and cd-drive that I already have

My main concern though is that the giant 6950's won't both fit on the maximus motherboard. I really love this motherboard and I hope one of you can tell me if 2 would fit or not? :)

Also, general feedback on my build is appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

justjohn5

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
What will you be using this system for? If you will be mostly gaming, you should drop the intel core i7 2600k. Buy the i5 2500k, save the extra $100 for a different part.
The two cards should work just fine on that motherboard.
Overview from Newegg:
"The Maximus IV Gene-Z has 2x PCIe-16 slots, allowing for graphics cards to run in SLI or CrossFireX mode"

sassal

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Yes mostly gaming but I chose that CPU to future-proof just in case I start video editing/rendering etc

Yeah I know that they will work, just the fact if they will fit, they are really big cards, the asus ones

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
The main concerns with whether or not a graphics card fits:

1. How big is your case? The ASUS cards are 11" or 11.7" long(depends on the model). Make sure that your case has that much clearance for the graphics card + a little more for ease of install. The Cooler Master HAF X 942 can fit up to 12.5" cards (maybe a little more so your good there.

2. Correct Slot(s). For Crossfire you will need two full size PCIe v2 slots (preferably @ x16/x16). That Mobo does.

3. No interfering connectors below the graphics card(s) that will be used for connecting peripherals (HDD, CD/DVD, etc.). ASUS usually places the SATA connectors at the front of the board and then uses right angle connectors to avoid interfering with large graphics cards. The Maximus IV Gene-Z does this so your good there too.