larrycannon

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Hello,

I built a computer recently the system worked fine with the motherboards on board graphics chip but i wanted to use the system for some decent gaming so i added a dedicated graphics card (HD 6770). Now when i turn the computer on soon after turning it off, or doing a simple restart there is no graphics output on the screen and the HDD shows no activity either, only thing which happens is all the fans turn on.

I tried connecting the monitor to both the 6770 and the on board card and there is no display, not even the bios. If i wait long enough the system will run normally again which sounds like it might be a issue with overheating? Thing is the 6770 shouldn't overheat that badly, im not putting it under any stress yet. and why would it effect the rest of the system i.e the on board graphics.

hope someone can suggest something? is there some sort of heat safety switch im tripping? or is the 6770 faulty? maybe it needs exchanging?

Phenom II X4 955
Radeon Hd 6770
4GB Corsair XMS3
Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H

larrycannon

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Thanks for the advice, I have a Cit M-500U not exactly the best around, also I'm powering the card using a 2 molex to PCIe adapter, would this make a difference?

Is there a PSU you would recommend? I tried to find a better one but i'm using a mATX case which won't fit an ATX PSU.

larrycannon

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
So your saying 2 molex into 1 pci-e? Never seen one of those.

Your problems are understood with the M-atx case. That is why one does not try to build a gaming machine with a M-atx case.

Your pretty screwed. Maybe return the video card for a 6670, that one does NOT require a pci-e 6 pin connector.