AMD vs Intel : Core vs Threads

agriz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi,

In Intel website, I can find the details.

Core : 4
Threads : 8

Of course, they vary from processor to processor.

In AMD, How can i find those details?

For example,
Phenom II 955 has 4 cores, what about threads?
Phenom II 1055T has 6 cores, what about threads?

Thanks

For all of AMD's non-Bulldozer CPU's, there is a 1:1 correlation to how many cores the CPU has and how many threads it can work on at once.

For AMD's Bulldozer CPU's, there is a 1:2 correlation between cores and threads [each "core" can operate on two threads at one time].

The bulldozer info is not 100% correct ie there is 1 core per thread but the cores share some resources. Intels hyper threading is like each core has an extra thread which is like a very weak extra core while bulldozer has 2 cores that are not full cores. every one has there own take on if they are really 2 cores or not but they are seperate cores but share resources.

agriz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I just read something.
Do we need Proper Ram according to the Processor Speed?
If so, how much ram will work well with for the following three processors?

Intel i7 2600K 4 core, 8 thread
955 4 core 4 threads
1055T 6 core 6 threads

I am looking to buy one with 8GB DDR3 Ram

Total L2 Cache and L3 Cache is only available in AMD website.

I will answer on the Intel® Core™ i7-2600K. It has a built in memory controller that only supports certain speeds of memory. While it is possible to use faster speeds memories officially it only supports DDR 3 1066/1333. A lot of people do use DDR 3 1600 and have no problem with it. The performance gains from anything faster than that drops off quickly. RAM isnt something built into the processors it is something that you add afterwards.

The easiest way to understand how hyper-threading works is to think of it as a second path way for data to travel into the processor and take advantage of left over resources. So let’s say that you are running a single threaded application and it is taking 70% of the resources of a core. With hyper-threading the second application runs down that second pathway and can take advantage of that left over 30%. So while hyper-threading isn’t as good as a full core it is helpful for multi-tasking and heavily multi-threaded applications. So depending on the nature of the applications that you are running you will find what you need to run to get the best performance and value. Right now very few games can take advantage of more than 4 threads because of this the Intel Core i5-2500K is one of the best performing and best value processors on the market right now.

Cache is memory that is located on the processor. L1 is located on the die, L2 is just off the die and L3 is a little farther out. For the 2nd generation Intel Core processors the L1 cache is 32KBs for each core, L2 is 256KBs for each core, and L3 can be different based on the processor.

In the end there is no magical single stat that will tell you how fast a processor is you really need to check the benchmarks to see how the processors perform in applications like what you are going to be doing.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Its still a 1:2 core/thread correlation. Yes, AMD's CMT is only about 80% effective due to a few shared resources, but thats normal for SMT implementations. I view the second core fo a BD module to be the same exact thing as Intel's Hyperthreading, just more effective.

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Reason why you see more and more cache is basically that the ram subsystem has become too slow for the modern day cpu. So the data the cpu needs will be stored in the cache. Dont worry about ram speeds these days as the cpu's got big enough caches to nullify that

TRENDING THREADS