Computer build for my neighbor

darkuncle

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Hi all,

My neighbor is looking to get a desktop for simple internet surfing, word processing (she's a teacher), photo and music storage (would like at least 1 TB). She does have 2 young kids, 6 and 8 years old so there will most likely be some light gaming involved. I'm thinking anything that would be able to handle WoW should be able to handle anything they would play right now.

So a good all round general purpose computer that can handle light gaming for $500 or less would be ideal. She was looking in Best Buy at HP's, Dell's and whatnot and asking me which one to get but I really hate having all the bloatware crud they put on these machines and the fact that they don't give you your OS disk. Therefore I offered to build her a machine that would suit her needs.

Fire away guys!

Thanks!!

Chris

darkuncle

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
That pre-built looks pretty good to me Chester. How is that built in graphics? Can a GPU be added if one so chose? Also, do you know if you actually get the physical disk for the OS?

Thanks!!

JKatwyopc

Distinguished

I was about to post my own version of a proposed system when I saw chester's. Kudo's for a great find there.

To answer your questions , the built in graphics are good enough to run WOW on low to fair settings at 1680X1050.

If you added a discrete graphics card later you wouldn't need to spend a great deal of money because the APU graphics has the ability to dual render with another graphics card.

See http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-a8-3850-llano,2975.html.

Since that system comes as a kit you should get the physical windows install disk.