Fast beep after installing 5670 in old Dell 4700.

mcnoober

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I purchased a new 5670 sapphire graphics card for my Dell 4700 and it beeped on startup. I put the old car back in and it did the same thing. If I take the video card out it will beep once slow, then 3 times fast, then beep two more times fast, then it will just rapidly beep. I looked up the Dell trouble codes and didn't see any beep codes like this.

I'm thinking the motherboard is fried. Anyone have a different idea?

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
i once poked around with a graphics card update, and it did some beep codes, i looked 'em up, and it just said general hardware failure. Then I was annoyed that i had been too rough with it and cracked my motherboard, i thought to myself. But i reseated the RAM, and all were fine. apparently, it was flexing a little, and the ram wasn't happy. Most of the time when a computer has been beeping on me, it's been the RAM.

Conclusion, Try reseating the RAM when reseating the component you are trying to get working, doesn't work.

mcnoober

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

That sounds like a good solution, but the old video card wouldn't even work, thats been in there for like 5 years already.