Restoring Deleted Win Xp User Profile Settings -- Please H..

Hey all,

To make a long story short, I deleted my Win XP account name that
I used most often. After that i had to log into safe mode, create a
new admin account to access my computer again, blah blah... Anyway, I
am back, all data is there, but since I had to create a new user
profile, all of my settings (look of windows, some program settings,
etc) have all reverted back to default.

Now, i wanted to know if there is a way to access the old/deleted
user profile and either 1) restore it, or 2) copy the settings to my
current profile. I am not sure if there is a folder hanging out
somewhere with the old settings that i can just transfer to the new
name... etc... I really appreciate you help. You can respond here,
or even better, email me at magicianstalk@hotmail.com

Thanks again,

Matt
2 answers Last reply
More about restoring deleted user profile settings

    If, like you say, you only deleted your account and did that through user
    management, you might have some chances of getting the old stuff back.
    If you only deleted the account definition, then you should still have your
    old account profile sitting in Document and Settings and you could try this.
    Start your system in Safe mode, log on as an account which is NOT the new
    account you created, but an alternative admin account.
    Look up the deleted userid in the folder Document and Settings and copy the
    entire structure over the newly created userid in that same Document and
    Settings folder. That should bring back all of your previous settings (and
    registry!, at least the user part of it).
    Haven't done this myself, but logic seems to indicate this should work.
    Give it a whirl.
    hth
    Odo

    "magicianstalk" <magicianstalk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > To make a long story short, I deleted my Win XP account name that
    > I used most often. After that i had to log into safe mode, create a
    > new admin account to access my computer again, blah blah... Anyway, I
    > am back, all data is there, but since I had to create a new user
    > profile, all of my settings (look of windows, some program settings,
    > etc) have all reverted back to default.
    >
    > Now, i wanted to know if there is a way to access the old/deleted
    > user profile and either 1) restore it, or 2) copy the settings to my
    > current profile. I am not sure if there is a folder hanging out
    > somewhere with the old settings that i can just transfer to the new
    > name... etc... I really appreciate you help. You can respond here,
    > or even better, email me at magicianstalk@hotmail.com
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Matt

    also you might want to check out:

    "Odo" <Odo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If, like you say, you only deleted your account and did that through user
    > management, you might have some chances of getting the old stuff back.
    > If you only deleted the account definition, then you should still have
    your
    > old account profile sitting in Document and Settings and you could try
    this.
    > Start your system in Safe mode, log on as an account which is NOT the new
    > account you created, but an alternative admin account.
    > Look up the deleted userid in the folder Document and Settings and copy
    the
    > entire structure over the newly created userid in that same Document and
    > Settings folder. That should bring back all of your previous settings (and
    > registry!, at least the user part of it).
    > Haven't done this myself, but logic seems to indicate this should work.
    > Give it a whirl.
    > hth
    > Odo
    >
    > "magicianstalk" <magicianstalk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hey all,
    > >
    > > To make a long story short, I deleted my Win XP account name that
    > > I used most often. After that i had to log into safe mode, create a
    > > new admin account to access my computer again, blah blah... Anyway, I
    > > am back, all data is there, but since I had to create a new user
    > > profile, all of my settings (look of windows, some program settings,
    > > etc) have all reverted back to default.
    > >
    > > Now, i wanted to know if there is a way to access the old/deleted
    > > user profile and either 1) restore it, or 2) copy the settings to my
    > > current profile. I am not sure if there is a folder hanging out
    > > somewhere with the old settings that i can just transfer to the new
    > > name... etc... I really appreciate you help. You can respond here,
    > > or even better, email me at magicianstalk@hotmail.com
    > >
    > > Thanks again,
    > >
    > > Matt

Configuration Customization Windows XP