Sign in with
Your question

Sabertooth Z77 fan issues

Last response: in Motherboards
August 27, 2012 5:12:52 AM

So, I purchased a Sabertooth Z77 a few days ago and started setting it up today. I tried a test boot and I get a cpu fan error (I'm using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heatsink). I tried connecting the fan to different headers and still get the same message. The fan starts up fine, then I hear the post beep, then it slows down to about 600rpms (it does the same thing with the chassis fans). I tried connecting it to my old mobo (also an asus board), and it runs at full speed. I tried connecting the fan directly to the psu, and it also runs at full speed. I'd prefer not to contact Asus unless absolutely necessary so any help would be appreciated.
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 27, 2012 2:29:45 PM

Yep seen this a bunch (always with CM fans) and the core issue is the CM fans and not the MOBO, the solution is to either replace the CM fan or make one change in the BIOS:

CPU Fan Speed Low Limit -> 400~500 RPM
F10 Save & Exit = Yes

You're comparing 3-pin/PSU (full power) to PWM 4-pin connections.
m
l
August 27, 2012 8:55:06 PM

I figured it out. I didn't realize that Asus' Q-fan controller was controlling the speed of the fans connected to the motherboard. I just went into the bios and disabled it and the cpu fan is going full speed now. Thanks for the reply jaquith.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 27, 2012 9:30:56 PM

Yeah, you 'can' do that BUT why have it running full bore??!! I leave Q-Fan -> Enabled and the Standard profile works just fine with VARIABLE speeds.
m
l
!