Compare these CPUs

jeanbrat

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Hi
This question is just to improve my knowledge
Here are 2 processors of almost same price tag and which goes to same socket LGA1156

PROCESSOR1 Intel® Core™ i5-650 Processor (4M Cache, 3.20 GHz) (2 cores)
PROCESSOR2 Intel® Xeon® Processor X3430 (8M Cache, 2.40 GHz) (4 cores)

Which is a better CPU as far as gaming is concerned. And technically what features these server processors offers which its desktop counterpart will not.
Slightly Lower clock with more cores gain better performance compared to higher clocked devices?

http://ark.intel.com/compare/43546,42927

Here is a comparison result and by the absence of integrated graphics actually helped them to squeeze 2 more cores into Xeon I guess
I think which actually benefits if you are not using Intel IGP and depend on high end AMD or Nvidia

Please share your thoughts guys which is better for a gaming rig.?

Why not just get the 750 instead and a low end video card? I've found some used for $125 recently. Lots of folks getting rid of stuff after they upgrade this weekend. Check craigslist or anandtech's for sale forum for deals and make an offer. The reason I mention this is server ram is more expensive.

It would be based on the game but if these were the only 2 processors that you had to choose from I would have to with the Intel® Xeon® X3430 but the real problem is that you are going to find that the Intel Xeon X3430 is not going to be supported on many boards outside of a server/workstation. If you are going to stay in socket 1156 you want to look at the Intel Core™ i5-750 or Intel Core i5-760 if you can still find them. The lack of IGP (intergrated graphics on processor) has nothing to do with them them fitting extra cores on the Intel Xeon X3430 processor. The real problem is all of these processors are old technology and you would find better performance if you use the 2nd generation Intel Core processors like the Intel Core i5-2500K and a good P67 or Z68 board.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

TRENDING THREADS