Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Let's avoid an explosion

Last response: in Systems
August 24, 2011 7:30:03 PM

I've never really known the 'proper' way to do things, just learned through trial and error a lot to form my computer knowledge.

Two things I want to know, and know right.

1) How do I properly re-install windows after purchasing a new MB? (with and without disk please) ((Please also add detail on HOW to re-format, or properly partition etc)) (((any other info on anything would be helpful)))

2) How do you properly go about getting new drivers? How (in detail) do you find old drivers, delete them, and make sure all your drivers are perfect?

More about : avoid explosion

a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2011 8:24:36 PM

For drivers you go to the manufacturer of the device's website and enter the model number and operating system you have and you can download that specific driver.

You install windows by first booting to the DVD drive, you do this by going into the bios (f8 or del during post) and choosing your boot order. Set the DVD as 1st boot priority. Then save and exit bios. Make sure DVD is already in the drive.

The computer will boot and start loading files and at some point you'll get the option to format the hard drive first, pay attention, you may need to click options or something, don't miss it though as it's important to format the drive when doing a fresh install.

Then it will warn you all data will be lost if you proceed. You can then hit ok or proceed ***** (you did do a backup of your important data first right?.******

You don't need any partitions.

Then you just sit back and follow the directions on the screen. After windows is installed you need to install your motherboards chipset drivers from the disk that came with your motherboard. Then you need to install your graphics card drivers from the manufacturers website like I explained above, or you can use the disk that came with it, but either way your going to want to go to the site and update it at some point.

Then you should install your anti-virus program, and get all updates for that. No need to do a scan now though.

Then you need to get all your windows updates. This could take 10 minutes or 10 hours, depending on how old your operating system is. If it's Windows 7 then it should be fairly quick.

Score
August 24, 2011 8:24:41 PM

You will need a Windows OS Disk to install. No matter what.

Remember to activate your windows first before making anymore progress in your new build. You are limited a certain number of reboots or days whichever comes first.

You will use one hard disk, either a old spinner or a SSD. That way windows will have no choice but to install onto that disk.

If you are installing windows onto a raid, have the raid driver ready when prompted for it.

New drivers come with Disks with your hardware or on websites of the maker for your hardware. Failing that, you might be ok with generic windows drivers or find a archive somewhere online that might still have older drivers.

AMD contains many drivers for AMD/ATI and Intel does the same.

These days, you just shove the Windows disk into your computer. The old fashioned DOS commands and use of Floppies to kick a windows install are long dead.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2011 8:42:36 PM

circulate said:
I've never really known the 'proper' way to do things, just learned through trial and error a lot to form my computer knowledge.

Don't beat yourself up over the 'proper' way to do things. There are a lot of us out there who have learned the best way to work on our computers and software through trial and error (AKA "the hard way"). That's why we're here now reading other peoples posts and providing others with the benefits of our experiences. It helps avoid some of the pain of all of those mistakes to see what other people have to say and hopefully we can help you to avoid some of those same mistakes.
Score
August 24, 2011 8:43:33 PM

Thank you both for your prompt replies.

A few questions still.

When you say I'll have to eventually go to the site to update the graphic drivers, how do I go about locating old drivers, whiping them out, and putting in new ones. Do i deleted the old ones first, then install new ones? Install new ones, then delete old? Where do I put the drivers? Do they usually auto select the correct location?
Score
August 24, 2011 8:44:59 PM

JKatwyopc said:
Don't beat yourself up over the 'proper' way to do things. There are a lot of us out there who have learned the best way to work on our computers and software through trial and error (AKA "the hard way"). That's why we're here now reading other peoples posts and providing others with the benefits of our experiences. It helps avoid some of the pain of all of those mistakes to see what other people have to say and hopefully we can help you to avoid some of those same mistakes.

Thank you very much, that makes sense :p 
Score

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2011 9:14:37 PM

Removing the old drivers and software is easy. There are two places to check.

First, go into windows control panel and select "Programs and features" and then find the software that was installed for your device. Its usually pretty easy to identify(not always). Then select the software and click uninstall and let windows uninstall it. Sometime you will have to answer a few questions depending on the software supplier. Most device software that can be removed this way will uninstall all of the drivers as well.

The other place to look is in the "Device Manager" also in the control panel. How to find it varies depending on your operating system. In Windows 7, its in the main control panel window. In WinXP you have to go to "Control Panel -> System" to get to "Device Manager". once in Device manager, find the device you want to reinstall the drivers for, right click it and select properties. Under properties goto the drivers tab and click uninstall. This will remove the device driver only. Any other software that was installed with the device will not be removed.

Usually you can perform one or both of the above procedures to remove any device and then update the drivers afterward.

Unfortunately, Windows is very complex and occasionally some things don't get removed such as registry entries and driver support files. More than 90% of the time these remnants don't cause a problem, but every once in a while they might. If 'my' system has gotten to this point I don't spend a lot of time trying to search and edit the registry, finding and deleting files or running "Clean up" programs. I figure if it's that screwed up its time to rebuild windows from scratch. Others may see it differently.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2011 9:17:59 PM

circulate said:
Thank you both for your prompt replies.

A few questions still.

When you say I'll have to eventually go to the site to update the graphic drivers, how do I go about locating old drivers, whiping them out, and putting in new ones. Do i deleted the old ones first, then install new ones? Install new ones, then delete old? Where do I put the drivers? Do they usually auto select the correct location?

mostly, this is done automatically by the driver install software nowadays
Score
August 24, 2011 9:20:36 PM

Best answer selected by Circulate.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2011 9:26:09 PM

Edit: I just noticed this question. "Do i deleted the old ones first, then install new ones? Install new ones, then delete old?" Yes to the first.

No, no, no, NO, NOO to the second. Never, ever try to uninstall old drivers after installing the new ones. New drivers almost always overwrite the old driver files if they still exist. Therefore trying to uninstall old drivers after installing the new ones actually uninstalls the new ones.

The purpose of removing the old drivers first is to try to remove the files that will be overwritten to prevent something from going wrong during the overwriting process. In other words, it's safer to write brand new files than to overwrite old ones.
Score
August 24, 2011 9:34:28 PM

Okay, so do i need to go to the device manager delete there, AND delete any software. One or the other?
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2011 9:36:08 PM

not really
Score
August 24, 2011 9:37:28 PM

ok lol ty
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
August 25, 2011 12:20:14 AM

I know with AMD cards when you run the driver after you download it, it gives you the option to uninstall the old one.

You have to get the right driver for your OS though. If you have vista 32bit it will be a different driver than if you have vista 64bit.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
August 25, 2011 2:36:46 PM

Wow I went through the entire process or installing windows, updates and drivers and you get the "best answer" by telling him how to uninstall a driver, which is done automatically by the software itself.

LOL
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
August 26, 2011 3:29:54 AM

LOL, yeah I was a little surprised about that too.
Score
August 26, 2011 5:47:20 AM

I apologized via PM, but only one person could get the answer. it's not a big deal, you were both super helpful sorry man.
Score
a b \ Driver
January 27, 2012 12:48:18 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!