Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PNY GTX 570 Black Screen of Death Help Needed!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2011 12:34:48 AM

Hellooo

I have this pesky problem with my PNY gtx 570 now, and it is consistent across multiple drivers. Basically what happens is in games, ie: Mass Effect 2, BFBC2, NBA 2k11... the monitor will go black and then sometimes switch back to the game and sometimes not resulting in the need for a hard system reset. It is very frustrating and it is making several of my games unplayable. I have tried 275.33 and thought this was initially a driver issue so I switched back to 266.58 and the problem was still there. Sometimes these black screens seem to be recoverable with a couple keystrokes or clicks on the mouse, but other times it is not and I have to do a hard reboot. This is very frustrating and I would greatly appreciate anyone help.

I can still RMA the card, but can anyone confirm if the card is actually faulty or if the problem lies elsewhere. Also when this problem occurs there is no overclock to the gpu. My case has excellent airflow, cable management, and fans and furthermore, I have monitored temps since day one and the gpu has never been over 72C in the most extreme gaming conditions. So now that we have got some of the prerequisites out of the way lets see if we can solve this problem.

Here are my system specs:

PII X4 955 @ 3.9 GHZ | PNY GTX 570 | MSI 890GXM-G65 | Cooler Master Storm Scout | 4 GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR3 1600 | Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | XFX XXX 650W PSU | Hitachi 7200 RPM 1TB | Samsung DVD-RW | Enermax 120mm Aircooled Case | Razer Death Adder

looks like if I do RMA I will def sell it, and in that case some gpu recommendations would be welcome. Thanks in advance

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2011 11:18:35 AM

The only way to verify that the card is faulty is to install it in another working system and see if it does the same thing.
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2011 1:31:24 PM

yeah upon further investigation, with the 266.58 drivers the problem only occurs in one game that I never play, Mass Effect 2, the card seems fine, and I have no other system to test it in. Seems that the more recent drivers were the main culprit of the problem, but since its so sporadic and random I cannot fully say what is going on but for now BFBC2 is giving me no problems so/..... as some have said before; BFBC2 Montage until BF3
Score
Related resources
June 22, 2011 5:19:56 PM

I have the same card and I've never had that problem. Maybe try the new beta drivers on the Nvidia site released yesterday
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2011 5:35:07 PM

yeah Im going to try to new beta driver I will report back when to see what happens, it seems like the card is fine its just some minute problems that Ive had like in mass effect 2 but really I could care less about that game. BFBC2 is running strong so far on the old driver
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 2:13:52 AM

Wow I am still having this problem and it is really bugging me, after about 5 minutes of play in just cause 2 the screen goes blank but the game is running and I can here the sounds associated with what is going on. I have made sure that nothing is going to sleep on me in power settings, what the hell is going on my gpu seemed to work fine for the first few months of ownership now it seems less and less stable, anybody know what the next course of action should be? I have a spare 5770 sitting in a backup rig that I could try but its a lot of work switching the drivers back and forth, this is ridiculous what is going on?
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2011 1:34:31 PM

Best answer selected by jjb8675309.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 5, 2011 7:33:30 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!