Solved

Upgrading GeForce 7600GT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 22, 2011 12:42:48 AM

CPU: C2D E6600
Mobo: Intel D975XBX, PCIe 1.0 X 16
RAM: 4 X GSkill F2 8400CL4D 4GB PI-B
PS: Corsair Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W

My Windows Experience Index is at 5.4 because of my video card. The rest of the system is 5.9. I would like to upgrade my CPU but the MOBO is limited to C2D. I am not gaming but video playback is not as smooth as it could be, especially during video editing. Any recommendations for a sub $100 video card upgrade that is backwards compatible to PCIe 1.0?

Best solution

a c 106 U Graphics card
June 22, 2011 4:38:45 AM

Oh, well that's crappy. There shouldn't be any technical limitation to using a C2Quad in that board, but looking at it's CPU support I'm guessing it's an artificial limitation by Intel to force you to buy a new board, which would also mean a new case since you have a BX board.

Anyway, for a sub $100 card I would say go with a Radeon 5670 (with GDDR5 not GDDR3). You may also want to try overclocking your CPU to get more performance out of it. Read a Core 2 Duo overclocking guide to get started.
June 22, 2011 4:56:52 AM

Thanks for the reply Overclocked Toaster. When Tom's HW listed the 5670 as a best video card under $100 in January I found a good deal on a Sapphire card on New Egg. I contacted their tech support and they said the card was not backwards compatible to the PCIe 1.0 bus on My Bad Axe MOBO. I may have queried them on the GDDR5 card, I will ask them about the GDDR3 card and maybe try another manufacturer. I'll also ask them about the 5450 since that will probably fulfill my needs, but good enough is never enough.
Related resources
June 22, 2011 4:59:41 AM

megamanx00 said:
Oh, well that's crappy. There shouldn't be any technical limitation to using a C2Quad in that board, but looking at it's CPU support I'm guessing it's an artificial limitation by Intel to force you to buy a new board, which would also mean a new case since you have a BX board.

Anyway, for a sub $100 card I would say go with a Radeon 5670 (with GDDR5 not GDDR3). You may also want to try overclocking your CPU to get more performance out of it. Read a Core 2 Duo overclocking guide to get started.

Thanks megamanx00. I'm checking out the 5670.
July 2, 2011 8:52:18 PM

Best answer selected by Going Sandy.
!