Stunning New Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Screens

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.playstation,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:51:00 -0600, "NEXT BOX" <nextbox@xbox2.net>
wrote:

>"NEXT BOX" <nextbox@xbox2.net> wrote in message news:...
>>
>> "NEXT BOX" <nextbox@xbox2.net> wrote in message news:...
>> >
>> > for PC, Xbox2 and maybe, PS3 & Revolution
>> >
>> > PC version shown
>> >
>> > http://mars.walagata.com/w/gobg/Image2.jpg
>> > http://mars.walagata.com/w/gobg/Image3.jpg
>> > http://mars.walagata.com/w/gobg/Image4.jpg
>> > http://mars.walagata.com/w/gobg/Image5.jpg
>> > http://mars.walagata.com/w/gobg/Image6.jpg
>> > http://mars.walagata.com/w/gobg/Image7.jpg
>> > http://mars.walagata.com/w/gobg/Image8.jpg
>> > http://mars.walagata.com/w/gobg/Image9.jpg
>> > http://mars.walagata.com/w/gobg/Image10.jpg
>> > http://mars.walagata.com/w/gobg/Image11.jpg
>> > http://mars.walagata.com/w/gobg/Image12.jpg
>> > http://mars.walagata.com/w/gobg/Image13.jpg
>> > http://mars.walagata.com/w/gobg/Image14.jpg

Certainly looks nice, but after playing Morrowwind when it first came
out I cringe to think of what kind of system it's going to need to run
at dectent framerates.

Remove nospam_ to reply by email

Jeff H........

nostromo

Thus spake Jeff Holinski <Holinski@shaw.ca>, Sat, 19 Feb 2005 08:51:25 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:51:00 -0600, "NEXT BOX" <nextbox@xbox2.net>
>wrote:

>Certainly looks nice, but after playing Morrowwind when it first came
>out I cringe to think of what kind of system it's going to need to run
>at dectent framerates.
>

>Remove nospam_ to reply by email
>
>Jeff H........

Yeah, LOOKs nice - shame about the bugs, performance AND farked up game
system...& I can say that with 100% certainty! >8^D

When's it due (add +24-36mths?) & are they using their own engine
(expectedly farked up) or someone else's (totally farked up)?

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.playstation,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

Nice but not exactly a quantum leap over Half-Life 2. And why is this
posted to so many groups? Don't you know that ticks off all the
uber-sensitive USENET weenies?

--

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 08:51:25 GMT, Jeff Holinski <Holinski@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:51:00 -0600, "NEXT BOX" <nextbox@xbox2.net>
>wrote:

>Certainly looks nice, but after playing Morrowwind when it first came
>out I cringe to think of what kind of system it's going to need to run
>at dectent framerates.

Well, the screenies look pretty, but if you look carefully you'll
notice the game isn't doing any real-time rendering of any shadows,
which saves on a lot of cpu cycles. Sure, the game looks impressive,
but it's really just because of big, ultra-detailed textures, and with
modern video-cards coming with 64, 128, 256 - and by the time Oblivion
comes out, 512 MB, huge textures aren't going to put that much of a
hit onto the framerate.

Judging by the screenshots so far, I wouldn't be surprised if the
polygon count in Oblivion is pretty much the same -on a room-for-room
comparison- as in Morrowind (although Oblivion obviously is rendering
a larger a area). As Doom3 proved, with good texturing you can get
away using lower-polygon models than you'd have to do otherwise.

Without advanced lighting effects, it's possible the system
requirements won't be that excessive; drop the texture size and it's
possible last year's machine could handle the game just fine.

And, of course, unless your desktop resoultion is the same size as the
screenshot, your eye is going to be fooled into thinking there's more
detail there than there really is. View the image full-screen and
you'll get a better idea of what the game's graphics will look like
(although of course this method does introduce -or makes more obvious-
various artifacts produced by the resizing or compression).

But graphics aside, I can't say I'm particularly looking forward to
Oblivion; they may have been good games, but the Elder Scroll series
just never appealed to me all that much. They seemed to me more about
raising player stats than creating a dramatic fantasy epic. Gothic
III, now there's a CRPG I'm anticipating.