I have 2 wireless laptops and a headache

wendymaree

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Hello, how can I connect 2 wireless laptops (one Vista, the other Windows 7) wirelessly. I also have a wireless dynalink modem/router.
I've been trying for a while without success and am a newbie when it comes to netmaking and anything too technical. Thank you for any help. :)

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Hi,

Do both of your laptops have built-in wireless? If so, you should be able to view the available wireless networks from those wireless laptops by right clicking the TV looking icon on the bottom right hand side. Before that though, have you successfully setup your wireless network to be configured to allow wireless devices as such as your laptops to connect? If not, what is the model/make of your router? You can try going to their website and looking for a step by step tutorial on how to do so.

wendymaree

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011

Thank you for replying, Khubani.

Yes both laptops have built-in wireless and both can connect to the printer and router wirelessly.

I've rung the modem company and they say this problem is solved through setting up networking through the laptop software and has nothing to do with them or the wirelesmodem/router. I've setup the networks to connect on both laptops but this is the problem now: I want the new laptop (Windws 7) to read all the files off the old Vista laptop. At the moment the new Windows 7 laptop will only read files that have been placed in the public folder - and only files will it read, not folders. If I try to get the Windows 7 lapptop to read folders from the Public folder on the other laptop it gives me an error message saying that I don't have permission to read that folder. However I've already gone into the permission/security area through Properties for that folder and have given the network every possible permission. I've also clicked the option for multimedia files to be shared through the network - and every other file. How is it possible to set up a network where I can view every file on the old laptop without moving it to the Public folder?

Thanks, again.

wendymaree

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Thank you to everyone who answered. I appreciate your time and thoughts on this. It seems, though, by going through the Networking and Sharing option on the Windows 7 laptop only gives the option of sharing through the Public folder. I really wanted to have access to all folders on the old Vista laptop. Perhaps this will take a more complex approach.

G

Have you enabled file sharing on the relevant folders on the Vista machine ? Go to My Computer, Drive C:, select folder and right click on it and select sharing and security (at least that's how you do it in XP)