Connector question...

lunchboxhunter1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
My new video card has 2 6 pin supplmental power connections... my PSU is equipped with 1 8 pin PCIe connection and 1 6 pin PCIe connection...If I were to use a 8pin to 6pin adapter cable...is there any reason my video card should not work?

I ask because I just did a new build and on startup the system beeps (single short beep) like its posting but my display wont light up. i have tried different monitors and different cards on the machine itself. I have worked down the list of things to do in such a situation such as this per a walkthrough post on this site... still nothing....\
I have reset the cmos vis the jumper on the mobo...replaced what was probably a perfectly good cmos battery...im at a loss at what to do here...

any suggestions?

Are you sure that the 8 pin PCIe connector isn't really a "6+2" connector? Most are.

If it isn't, an 8 to 6 pin adapter would work.

I do not know why the industry bothered with the 8 pin thing. The 6 and 8 pin plugs each have three hot wires. The 8 pin connector has 2 extra ground wires.

lunchboxhunter1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Im looking at the paperwork and box for my PSU everything points to this being a 8pin pcie connector.....Im reaching here...nothing else has worked so that was the one thing that came to mind. Its starnge the thing is actiing like its posting perfectly...the display just wont light up.....