Sign in with
Your question

Looking at an upgrade and not sure where to start...

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 23, 2011 7:49:15 PM

Howdy all, I currently have an OK computer that I use for home and office. I'm looking to upgrade as it tends to run a little slow for my work stuff (graphics designer w/ large image files using Corel) as well as some gaming like COD4.

I'd like to look at upgrading but not sure where to start. I've checked the Gigabyte website to see what's compatible with my motherboard and it looks like pretty much all of the phenom cpu's are. My main question, with around a $300 budget in mind, is where to start? CPU, mobo, graphics card, memory, etc.

Here is what I currently have...I had a local guy build this originally and now would like to start working on this myself. Any suggestions would be great as I'm fairly new to the building aspect (have done plenty of reprogramming, etc.) and looking forward to it.

Thanks for the help in advance! Ryan

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

More about : upgrade start

November 23, 2011 8:05:23 PM

This is your motherboard correct? http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

Assuming your graphics card has worked fine for you so far, I would suggest you get a new processor. And have you looked at how much memory your system is using when your working? If your using 3+ Gigs, you may want to add 4 gb of mem.

I would suggest the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition ($169.99 at newegg), which is listed to have support for that motherboard. And then you can use the rest to get more memory for your system if you want or need (just make sure you check if your using all 4 dimm slots first).

m
l
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2011 8:06:08 PM

For 300 you can get a Phenom II quad core and a 6850/6870. That's what I'd recommend. What's the PSU though?
m
l
Related resources
November 23, 2011 8:22:40 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback so quickly! Yes Stalker, that is my mobo. I'm usually working b/t 2 and 3 gigs but might upgrade the memory just to be safe.

Here are the actual parts of the comp including PSU...I think that is ok as I told him originally that I wanted to be able to upgrade. I think it's time! :) 

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

m
l
November 23, 2011 8:39:47 PM

rygolf25 said:
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback so quickly! Yes Stalker, that is my mobo. I'm usually working b/t 2 and 3 gigs but might upgrade the memory just to be safe.

Here are the actual parts of the comp including PSU...I think that is ok as I told him originally that I wanted to be able to upgrade. I think it's time! :) 

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i233/rygolf25/CPUstatssmall.jpg" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

If you don't usually use more than 3-3.5 gigs of your ram, you don't really need more ram, but it's always nice to be safe. :sol: 

Also, can you clarify this: I'm looking to upgrade as it tends to run a little slow for my work stuff (graphics designer w/ large image files using Corel) as well as some gaming like COD4.

It tends to run slow while gaming in COD4, or was that just a mention that you also use it for games like COD4, and it runs fine in COD 4? If it does run slower in COD4, I may go along with FinneousPJ's suggestion, get a phenom II quad core and a 6850/6870. And just upgrade your ram at a later date if you so desire.
m
l
November 23, 2011 9:22:27 PM

Hey stalker, I just threw that in that I play COD4 and seem to lag a little...most of the "running slow" is when I'm working on corel and working through my large graphics files. I think, from what you guys are saying, maybe it's worth it to just upgrade to a nice quad core, add 4gb of memory and a good graphics card and it might accomplish everything I'm looking for! I guess now it's just time to start shopping for the best deal on a quad and 6850/6870!
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2011 9:28:55 PM

If you get slowdowns when working then it's not unlikely to be RAM issue after all! So yes, do consider adding some more RAM. I'm not familiar with the software so I can't say if it'd benefit from 6 cores (vs 4). You might want to look into it. Nevertheless if you like gaming I'm sure you'll appreciate the 6800-series upgrade!
m
l
!