Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Does a USB 3 19-Pin Y connector exist?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 27, 2012 5:15:47 PM

I just got a new Antec P183 V3 case. This case now comes with three USB 3 front ports attached to two 20-1 motherboard connection cables (two of the three port wires are connected to one 20-1 connector and one to the other 20-1 connector). My motherboard has only one 20-1 connector.

I have two questions: Does a single motherboard USB 3 connector have the ability and capacity to support the attachment of three USB 3 ports using a Y connector without compromise? And if so, does such a (19-pin X 3) Y connector exist?
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 27, 2012 5:36:59 PM

Looking at that case I only noticed (1) USB 3.0 and (2) USB 2.0 @ the Front 'Ports' so I would assume the case has a USB 3.0 pass-through and a couple USB 2.0 standard headers.

So if the Case isn't equipped with a 20-pin and you need a 20-pin (MOBO) to Y-Female then:

HDE (TM) 2 Port USB 3.0 A Female to 20 Pin Y Cable - http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Port-USB-Female-Cable/dp/B006...

Specs:
Front ports
- 2 x USB 2.0
- 1 x USB 3.0
- Audio In and Out (HDA and AC’97 compatible)
m
0
l
August 27, 2012 6:04:32 PM

jaquith said:
Looking at that case I only noticed (1) USB 3.0 and (2) USB 2.0 @ the Front 'Ports' so I would assume the case has a USB 3.0 pass-through and a couple USB 2.0 standard headers.

So if the Case isn't equipped with a 20-pin and you need a 20-pin (MOBO) to Y-Female then:

HDE (TM) 2 Port USB 3.0 A Female to 20 Pin Y Cable - http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Port-USB-Female-Cable/dp/B006...

Specs:
Front ports
- 2 x USB 2.0
- 1 x USB 3.0
- Audio In and Out (HDA and AC’97 compatible)

Thanks for your reply but everything is as I originally stated; so that won't work. (The Antec folks update their hardware first, then their Web site and Owners' Manuals when they get around to it; so don't go by either of those.)
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 27, 2012 6:31:34 PM

Unless the Model # changed then I never see a sudden change in specs.

Then it's an oddball design to have (3) USB 3.0 Ports. If that's the situation then no you cannot split the 20-Pin into (3) USB 3.0 Ports with out the use of a USB 3.0 HUB and/or a 20-pin for the (2) USB 3.0 @ Front (+) a USB 3.0 Pass-through to the Rear I/O of the MOBO. A HUB is IMO a bad option which leaves the option as I said <or> have a dead (1 of 3 USB 3.0).

Q - What EXACT USB Connectors came with your Case?
Q - How many Blue 'Front ports' and Black 'Front ports' with your case?

Please provide a link to your Case.
m
0
l
August 27, 2012 7:29:19 PM

jaquith said:
Unless the Model # changed then I never see a sudden change in specs.

Then it's an oddball design to have (3) USB 3.0 Ports. If that's the situation then no you cannot split the 20-Pin into (3) USB 3.0 Ports with out the use of a USB 3.0 HUB and/or a 20-pin for the (2) USB 3.0 @ Front (+) a USB 3.0 Pass-through to the Rear I/O of the MOBO. A HUB is IMO a bad option which leaves the option as I said <or> have a dead (1 of 3 USB 3.0).

Q - What EXACT USB Connectors came with your Case?
Q - How many Blue 'Front ports' and Black 'Front ports' with your case?

Please provide a link to your Case.

Well, the model # didn’t change, just the specs. As I said, EVERYTHING that I originally posted is correct. There are, indeed, THREE BLUE front ports. You seem to be skeptical; if you email them they will confirm what I am saying. Anyway, Asus said they will be sending me a USB 3 to USB 2 adapter so I can use that to plug the 19-pin USB 3 case cable into the motherboard's USB 2 connector. Then, rather than having one of the three front ports dead, it will be a USB 2 (along with the two USB 3s).

I just want to be sure of one thing: The maximum number of USB 3 ports that can be directly attached a single motherboard 19-pin connector (without a HUB) is two. Is that correct?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 716 V Motherboard
August 27, 2012 8:01:17 PM

You'd need a HUB, each 20-pin supports (2) two USB 3.0 Ports. Yep there's 20-pin USB 3.0-to-USB 2.0 Adapters, and there's probably 20-pin to female USB 3.0-to-Y USB 3.0.

The only reason I may seem 'skeptical' is because I can't think of a MOBO out there with 2x20-pin USB 3.0 -- maybe they were thinking use the MOBO and get a USB 3.0 Card with a 20-pin, but most importantly is so I or anyone else doesn't give you incorrect info.

You should ask Antec rather than ASUS, it's Antec's fault for not including an adapter in such an odd configuration.

This is essentially what they're sending:
Share
August 27, 2012 8:15:48 PM

jaquith said:
You'd need a HUB, each 20-pin supports (2) two USB 3.0 Ports. Yep there's 20-pin USB 3.0-to-USB 2.0 Adapters, and there's probably 20-pin to female USB 3.0-to-Y USB 3.0.

The only reason I may seem 'skeptical' is because I can't think of a MOBO out there with 2x20-pin USB 3.0 -- maybe they were thinking use the MOBO and get a USB 3.0 Card with a 20-pin, but most importantly is so I or anyone else doesn't give you incorrect info.

You should ask Antec rather than ASUS, it's Antec's fault for not including an adapter in such an odd configuration.

This is essentially what they're sending:
http://www.frozencpu.com/images/products/main/cab-629.jpg

Thanks, jaquith, for that good answer. That's exactly what I needed to know.
Best regards,
JP
m
0
l
August 27, 2012 8:17:59 PM

Best answer selected by jpatth.
m
0
l
January 4, 2013 4:59:50 PM

the Original Poster is correct. At least, I am experiencing the exact same problem.

I purchased an Antec NineHundred Two V3 from NewEgg on 12-21-2012. NewEgg currently advertises and is still stating that it has the following front ports:

Qty: 1 USB 3.0
Qty: 2 USB 2.0

But wht they sent me was the exact same case, with QTY: 3 3.0 USB. Two of the connectors are spliced together into one connector to plug into your MoBo. the 3rd USB 3.0 has its own seperate 19-pin USB connector to plug into the Mobo. Most Mobo's only have 1 spot for this connector though.

So dont question the validity of the original poster anymore. To help the original poster out, you can order a usb 19 pin card, that will screw into the back of your computer similar to a video card, it plugs into the PCI 2.0 slot of your mobo. This will provide you an additional connector.They can be found on Newegg for around $20.

You can also go the route of what Antec is suggesting, which is an adapeter so that you can connect it into the USB 2.0 outlet on the Mobo. I think you will lose the USB 3.0 technology, thus making it a USB 2.0 though.

http://store.antec.com/Product/accessory-spare_parts/us...

I am looking for this 3-way Y-type splitter also. Please update if you find one.
m
0
l
!