DIMM slots don't work

kshitijmd

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
I built a rig about a month ago and then disassembled it partially to fly it to college.
I left the RAM sticks in their slots as there was no reason to remove them.

Upon rebuilding it, it would not POST and the DRAM LED came on. The MemOK button would cycle through it's test or whatever it does, but to no avail.
I tried using just one stick in B2 and it worked, no problems. I used that same stick to test the other slots, and slots A1 and A2 DO NOT work. B1 and B2 work just fine.

Currently I have two sticks in B1 and B2 (not recommended, I know) and it's working. I can't see any physical abnormalities.

I though it might be a grounding fault/short due to the aftermarket heatsink (Hyper 212 Evo) but the stock heatsink didn't change things. All I learned from that is how crappy the stock heatsink is and how well the Hyper 212 Evo performs (difference of around 11°C).

Any suggestions short of sending the MoBo in for an RMA?

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77 V-Pro
RAM: 4 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile CML16GX3M4A1600C9B
CPU: Intel i5-3750K

Hurm

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

Did your RMA resolve the issue? Having same issue.

kshitijmd

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

Unfortunately I did not have the time to send off the board as I needed it and now the warranty has passed.

Moreover, on further inspection I noticed that a couple traces next to the heat sink mounting screws were damaged by tightening the screws too much so it's probably my fault that the slots don't work.

Hurm

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

Interesting. I haven't taken quite as close a look at individual traces but I have been doing a lot of reading and noticing that a ton of ASUS boards have two DIMM slots that simply do not function, for one reason or another. They may in fact be designed that way, but if they aren't they sure are damn sensitive. In any case, I am going to open a ticket with ASUS and speak with them directly about this to learn more.