Wow I'm a noob....so 1.65V means 1.65v right?

ccovemaker

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Hi all,

So I have a M4a77td Asus board that I had for like a year and an half now.

Back in the day when RAM was expensive (2 years ago) I bought 4x2GB of Corsair XMS3.

Not being the hardware obsessive I am now I put them in had the bios set to Auto and went with it.

3 out of the 4 sticks of memory like "AUTO" in bios last one did not.

Because of way I purchase everything for the build I was never able to RMA the bad RAM and I stuck it in the parts closest as a loss.

Flash forward a year and a half now. I am reading Tom's learning to be a real overclocker and not the "turbo button overclocker" and take a trip through my BIOS to discovery my Auto RAM setting is set to 1.5V

The Corsair XMS3 are 1.65V DOH.

So while I guess its better than overvolting the RAM for all this time any chance this last stick is going to work better when I yurn it up to the actually operating voltage?

hwangchan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
possible, but most electronics have a +/- 10% power band of operation.. meaning 1.5v should be enough to operate as intended.

If I remember, with RAM the chips will work down to 1.2-1.3V albeit losing some performance.

Its more likely your "bad" RAM is bad, but never hurts to try.

hwangchan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012

Thought about it a bit more, just want to confirm, you installed the 8GB of RAM, and your system reported only 6GB?
Was this in the OS or the Bios Memory test at startup?

Were you running Vista / win 7? if so, which level? 32 Bit or 64? The OS you used may be the limiting factor there, not the chip itself.

If you can't answer the questions, no one can help you.

The sticker on the dimm tells you what it should be set at, not auto. If your running the wrong timings, you'll also be running the wrong voltage and possibly wrong speed.

ccovemaker

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Sorry man I did see you ask a question. My question was more along the lines of if if you run the RAM under the suggested voltage whether it may cause stability problems.

All in all das's first response was probably the best answer.

"wont know until you try it."

Cheers